1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this the correct TLR?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sdotc75, Feb 11, 2011.

1. I am currently Head of MFL in a school where MFL is compulsory for all students at Key Stage 4. We have 1300 students in total KS3 - 5 and offer French, Spanish, German and Italian. I have no second in department and there are no separate head of subjects for each language. There are 4 full time and 4 part time members of staff and just me to run everything. I have raised the issue of my TLR/ situation with my Head who did not want to discuss it at all at first but has since informed me that she is considering the matter. Should I be TLR 2 or TLR 1? Should I be able to ask for a second in department? I would never begin to expect parity with other core subjects but feel nevertheless that a lower TLR 1 would be appropriate in the circumstances. This year, the only other person in school who conducted more performance management interviews than me was the Head herself. Am I mad?

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

TLRs and the posts for which they are awarded are set down in the staffing structure, which should be available to all staff. You can make representations to your head and via your staff governor to have the governing body amend the structure, after consultation with the staff.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Since the only differentiation between TLR2 and TLR1 in the documentation is that TLR1 requires line management of a significant number of people, I would argue that if any of the HoDs who have fewer staff to line manage are on TLR1, then so should you be.