1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this the beginning of the end of Johnson?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sally006, Sep 24, 2019.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Now let me think. @schoolsout4summer

"I need five weeks to prepare for the Queen's Speech and Parliament sitting would prevent me from doing that."

(Trolling off to NY won't get in the way of my prep though. Obviously.)

Yeah. It's traditional to shut down Parliament for that period of time. Always has been. Ha! But Boris is a master of fine detail and an intellectual colossus so .......

Oh, hell. I'm gonna go for it. Boris lied to the Queen. So sue me.

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The Queen has been put in an awkward position though. The court's ruling said that it wasn't just the request but the mechanism itself, which the Queen personally approved, was unlawful.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Misuse of the idea or maybe I was unclear..I meant the majority of politicians, not just Borris, Ther are a lot more out there just peddling their own ideas and living in the valley of indecision!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As a point of view, just whom would you replace him with, There are many who might wish the staring role but exactly who? Macdonnell with a truely Marxist lean for example?
    I have still not seen clear contenders if you replace Corbyn.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It was a struggle for the Tories to find someone to replace May as well. The idiot they came up with has so far been humiliated in every Commons vote on his policies and humiliated by the Supreme Court. The gamble that Johnson was the best person to defeat Corbyn is working out really well, ain't it?

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The polls suggest it's going just fine.

border_walker likes this.
  8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Yet the Tories have a significant lead in the poles. How did that happen? I guess it must be all the racist, ill educated homophobes.

border_walker likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I will have no say in the matter, but some claim that Laura Pidcock is the rapidly rising star of the party (who certainly need a female leader before long).

LondonCanary likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Ah, those Poles.

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Not really. Johnson was the obvious front-runner from the moment May resigned.

Tories currently have a 15 point lead over Labour, according to the latest opinion polls. Johnson's approval rating was at 41 percent, last time I looked, compared with Corbyn's 14 percent.

Personally, I find it almost unbelievable that with probably the worst government in modern history, the main opposition party is trailing so badly in the polls. Even an incompetent opposition party should be streaks ahead by now.

border_walker and LondonCanary like this.
  12. Oscillatingass

:oops: Now where did I put that Wodka? Oops I drank it all. That'll teach me.

13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I blame us - teachers, who have totally failed to teach critical thought in State schools.

14. Oscillatingass

In the latter years of my teaching career I found my freedom regarding what I could teach and indeed, how I taught it was becoming increasingly "prorogued."

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Looking at comments on social media it's difficult not to come to that conclusion.

16. Oscillatingass

With the exception of TES, I steer well clear of social media.

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sally006 likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's reached a stage beyond embarrassing.

Sally006 likes this.
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It depends which polls you choose to look at and when you look. Some say the lead is just 6%. Maintaining that lead at a GE will depend on whether Johnson is actually able to meet his promise of leaving the EU on 31st October or has to eat humble pie and request an extension of the deadline.

Brexiter Tory voters may feel they've been betrayed and switch their allegiance to the Brexit party. Johnson's personal ratings have plummeted since the surge when he became PM.

However since the pollsters got the 2015 election result wrong, the referendum result wrong and the 2017 GE result wrong, I am astonished that you take a blind bit of notice of them.

Sally006 likes this.
  20. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Senior commenter

have we decided if Proroguing was or wasn't about BREXIT yet? :D

p.s Why are the English Nationalist wing of the Brexit movement so thick?

You can't have it both ways :confused::rolleyes: