1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this the beginning of the end of Johnson?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sally006, Sep 24, 2019.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Which Tory party?

Obviously not the Ken Clarke and Letwin and Grieve and Soames Tory party.

What obligation to leave the EU? Not the obligation imposed by the advisory referendum obviously as the 2016 referendum carried no such weight.

There is however an obligation upon all MPs to act in the best interests of the country according to their conscience. This is their solemn oath and is not always in accord with the views of the majority of their constituents.

Did Boris prorogue Parliament to prevent MPs from opposing his plans or did he do it because he is working tirelessly on the Queen's Speech?

Even the most naive of observers surely knows the answer to that. And to imagine that he was honest about his motives with the Queen? "Look, Liz. I just don't need the aggro I'm getting in Parliament so I'm going to shut it down. Just don't act surprised when I tell everyone it's about something else. Cool."

Laphroig, Dodros, Alice K and 2 others like this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

A very rare occasion. McDonnell and RLB do all the work. McDonnell shows himself to be more capable(and has an opinion on Brexit)

anotherauntsally likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It was two days ago.

Given the way the media has lied about his policies, I can't really blame him.

4. LondonCanary

That doesn't mean that it's not rare.
    I can't blame him because he handles the media really badly. Anything too critical and he loses it. No good at as libbing either
    As I said two leaders who run from the media

5. Scintillant

One because he's an idiot who can't stop lying and doesn't know his brief, the other because he has been misrepresented habitually by an horrendously biased media

TCSC47, Laphroig and monicabilongame like this.
  6. LondonCanary

Hmm. If he is misrepresented it's because he won't be interviewed to give his opinion.

7. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Misrepresented! The mans a narcasssist, plain and simple. Whatever your political persuasion it's all about him and he's dangerous. Friends with a president who could be Impeached!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. Scintillant

That's a good one.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You can prove he abused the queen?

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You're putting together a remarkable thesis and you have found him guilty and doing as you suggest on the basis of action.
    As to leaving definitely, bring it on. It can not come soon enough that we should leave the EU to leave, Yet I have my doubts that the politicians have little stomach or concern over individuals other than what suits them!

11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Johnson's going to be very busy over the next couple of weeks:
    Jennifer Arcuri: Boris Johnson given 14 days to explain businesswoman links
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49819686
    Boris Johnson has been given 14 days to give details of his relationship with a US businesswoman, following claims he failed to declare a potential conflict of interest when he was London mayor.

A committee that scrutinises the mayor's spending has asked for details "of all contact" with Jennifer Arcuri.

The Sunday Times said Ms Arcuri joined trade missions he led and received thousands in sponsorship grants.

Mr Johnson has said everything was done "entirely in the proper way".

Ms Arcuri told the paper any grants she received and any trade missions she joined were "were purely in respect of my role as a legitimate businesswoman".

In a letter addressed to Mr Johnson and dated 23 September, Len Duvall, chairman of the London Assembly GLA (Greater London Assembly) Oversight Committee, said he wanted the "details and a timeline of all contact" with Ms Arcuri "including social, personal and professional during his period of office as Mayor of London".

He also asked for "an explanation of how that alleged personal relationship was disclosed and taken into account in any and all dealings with the GLA".

The committee has the legal power to summon Mr Johnson to appear before it for questioning and has done once before - when it quizzed him over the failed Garden Bridge project in 2018.

On Monday evening, when asked about the allegations, Mr Johnson told the BBC's John Pienaar: "All I can say is I am very proud of what we did as Mayor of London... particularly banging the drum for our city and country around the world."

He added: "I can tell you that absolutely everything was done entirely in the proper way."

Technology entrepreneur Ms Arcuri is believed to have moved to London seven years ago, when Mr Johnson was mayor.

She joined a number of trade missions led by him while in office, and it is understood she attended events on two of these trips - to New York and Tel Aviv - despite not officially qualifying for them as a delegate.

The Sunday Times reported that one of her businesses received £10,000 and £1,500 in sponsorship money from a mayoral organisation when Mr Johnson was mayor, as well as a £15,000 government grant for foreign entrepreneurs to build businesses in Britain.

The newspaper also said Ms Arcuri received a £100,000 grant from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport earlier this year.

The grant was intended for "English-based" businesses - although she had moved back to the US in June 2018.

The Sunday Times said it had found the registered address on the grant application form was a rented house in the UK and no longer connected to her.

The government has confirmed to the BBC it is investigating, but said the funds were awarded to a UK-registered company.

[​IMG]

Who is Jennifer Arcuri?
    The woman at the centre of this story is Jennifer Arcuri, who describes herself on Twitter as an entrepreneur, cyber security expert and producer.

She began her career as a DJ on Radio Disney, before moving into film - where she wrote, produced and directed a short film that went on to be sold at Cannes Film Festival.

Ms Arcuri then brought in her tech skills to create a streaming platform for independent film makers.

But it was her founding of The Innotech Network in London that saw her path cross with Boris Johnson.

The network hosts events to discuss tech policy, and Mr Johnson was the keynote speaker at the first of those in 2012.

Since then, Ms Arcuri has also founded another company called Hacker House, which uses ethical hackers to find tech solutions for businesses.

TCSC47, grumpydogwoman and nomad like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

His position as PM is now completely untenable and by staying he is doing a great deal of harm to the country.

He has to go

13. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Ooooeerrrrr. ALL contact? Cripes!

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

This is why I find him morally repugnant. I just don't like liars.

For what it's worth, this applies to Blair too and his lies about the need to steam into Iraq in 2003. And Trump on a daily basis. And Putin about not having invaded Ukraine.

There's a lot of it about at the moment.

But as Florian has already pointed out (can't remember which thread), Johnson will peddle the 'people v establishment' line and probably win the next election.

ilovesooty likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Let's hope not - personally I think he'll be brought down before the election.

TCSC47 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Spot On. Thats BoJo.

TCSC47 likes this.
  17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

[​IMG]

18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Are you insinuating that Boris is a liar?

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Although if only Labour would get rid of Corbyn, they would stand a good chance of deposing Johnson and the tories. Corbyn's dissatisfaction rating of 76% is the worst of any opposition leader on record (including Michael Foote, IDS and even Thatcher when in opposition).

20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I don't think so. Their solemn oath is of allegiance to the Queen (which is why Sinn Fein members will not take their place in parliament):

I, (Insert full name), do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.
    I think you may have muddled the oath with the advice of Winston Churchill, who thought that an MP should do what he [or she] thinks … is right and necessary for the honour and safety of Great Britain.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019