1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this the beginning of the end of Johnson?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sally006, Sep 24, 2019.

1. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I'm baffled. What "genuine ability" does he demonstrate in the video?
    I managed to get through half of it before giving up and this is all he seemed to say; there was a court case (first 30s), I'll respect the decision (then 90s of how he didn't respect it), ooh New York is a bit like London isn't it (2mins to 4mins).
    Have I missed the "genuine ability" or should I endure the next half as well?

bombaysapphire and TCSC47 like this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

There is no law to break. That's why it was unlawful rather than illegal

theselofane and nomad like this.
  3. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Really? You must be on the far right of Adolf Hitler if you percieve the majority of posters on here to be left-leaning.

cissy3 and TCSC47 like this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Which parallel universe are you in, oldie?

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Benny Hill who you seem to think Boris is like was indeed a very clever and intelligent man. Despite the character, he created seemingly on stage and portrayal of a lustful man. Hill was nowhere near like like the person he is remembered as and whom you are merely seeking to poke fun at in fitting his character to Boris. Boris is very clever, although he does seem to have the ability to do daft things at the time and be accused without judge or jury. It's so easy to poke fun at a person instead of understanding a person.
    Wait till the media raise up in Corbyn and others. Will you laugh if unjustifiably is portrayed as an old man with little brainpower or something derogatory, when the reality is he is other than that?.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Not yours fortunately lol

theselofane likes this.
  7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Oh dear. Blinkered doesn't begin to explain it.

Lets put it this way - you are anti-conservative, anti-Brexit and detest the Prime Minister. You blame him for all that has happened, including, it seems, for losing the Brexit votes in the House of Commons. How on earth he, or anyone else, could have won those beats me and every other commentator I have heard, but there we go. Blame him if it makes you feel good. You have every right to hold your views.

Expelling those who sought to undermine the referendum result most certainly does not illustrate any weakness at all, despite the pathetic attempt at psychological analysis. The ability to take fast, effective action against one's opponents has historically been seen as a major strength, and I have yet to hear any rational argument to the contrary.

The magnificent performance the PM gave at the dispatch box a few weeks ago was an absolute tour de force, so the fact that he left a couple of other occasions to the equally able Rees-Mogg didn't surprise me - after all, Boris had a lot of other things to try to solve in a very short time.

He has not failed dismally in attempting to meet the people at all - try looking at some footage rather than relying on a 30 second contrived sound-bite from the BBC or the Guardian's website. It is worth noting that at the time of the famous hospital stunt, many, of not most, of the other people there had been shouting encouragement to the PM.

I'm not in the least interested in the views of Max Hastings and would never give any credence to any assessment other than my own or that of someone whom I knew to be trustworthy and unbiased. Maybe you need to realise that just because someone says something that you agree with doesn't make it true.

The pole-dancing reference escapes me, I'm afraid. You may be onto something really vital here! Tell the BBC!

As regards the "illegality" , it is clear that at the time of prorogation he broke no law, but followed a precedent that until today was certainly NOT deemed unlawful. That a court has now said that what he did was unlawful is exactly what courts are there to do - they have clarified the law in this instance. So now, those honourable politicians, led by the Prime Minister, who want to follow their party's manifesto and do what the people voted for in 2016 must now try to find another means. I wish them well, and despite the views of people such as you, I still think they could do it. I think it may be good that you underestimate Boris Johnson. I hope his, and this nation's, other enemies do too.

T34, theselofane and oldsomeman like this.
  8. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

He isn't. He hasn't claimed to be. But he can still disagree with the decision, just as the judges in the High Court did previously. And they, one expects, are experts in the law.

The whole case was about stopping Brexit. Didn't you hear what those who brought the actions said?

T34 and theselofane like this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I don't read the Sun, but their political editor, Tom Newton-Dunn, who is often a pundit on Sky News, is excellent.

Shedman likes this.
  10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Johnson is a liar who far from batting for his country cares only about what benefits him.

I've no time for those who think his behaviour is in any way acceptable or those who would argue that he is fit for office.

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes. I do. Not one of their best and written by Graham Nash after a few trips to America and, no doubt, the imbibement of some exotic substances.

12. LondonCanary

It must be the beginning of the end for Geoffrey Cox.

13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Bug *er, you beat me to all these facts in response to Jonntyboy's 'interesting' post. The only thing I would have added is that wherever he goes he gets taken on by a beligerent member of the public, is bested by their arguments and assertions and then makes a fool of himself like he did when confronted by the chap in the hospital ward.

Laphroig and TCSC47 like this.
  14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Actually, I think these are all admirable qualities in a person and I stand shoulder to shoulder TCSC47 in sharing these.

Anti-conservative - too right, because of the carnage they have wrought in our public services. It was the Tories who brought us this shambles as a result of their internal battles over Europe which date from the Thatcher/Heath era and it was David Cameron who had the bonkers idea of a referendum to appease his backbenchers only he thought he'd never actually have to hold one because he never thought he'd ever win a commons majority.

Anti-Brexit - I am now but I voted leave in the original referendum. It is the shambles created by the cretinously inept Tory handling of Brexit and the disaster of no deal that made me change my mind.

Detesting the Prime Minister - well, I'm in good company there!

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

He isn't. It was Geoffrey Cox as Attorney General who gave Johnson clear legal advice that the prorogation was lawful. Should he really remain Attorney General following the Supreme Court’s unanimous ruling that it was unlawful?

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Especially considering that it was advice from Geoffrey Cox that did for Theresa May.

nomad likes this.
  17. LondonCanary

It was the wrong call.
    [​IMG]

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Some people appear to misunderstand the Supreme Court ruling. It did not adjudicate that prorogation per se was unlawful. It judged that Boris's use of prorogation powers was unlawful.

Brexiters are up in arms at the ruling and see it as another attempt to thwart Brexit. Boris has expressed a similar opinion from New York. How strange! He clearly said at the time that the prorogation had nothing to do with Brexit. It was all about preparing for the Queen's Speech and planning the domestic business of his government. How can be now claim that Brexit is being compromised without clearly outing himself (yet again) as a liar and a disrespecter of the Queen and of Parliament?

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

More than just some!

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I forgot to add racism (post boxes) and the fact that he has avoided as many press calls that he can. All his public appearances are carefully orchestrated (or attempted to be anyway) because he can not deal with any interrogation by the media.

Alice K likes this.