1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this the beginning of the end of Johnson?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sally006, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Is the Supreme Courts unanimous ruling the beginning of the end of Johnson and his bully boys? I hope so. If you haven yet seen the BBC 2 documentary “The Rise of the Nazis” then do so. The parallels of Johnson’s persecution of the moderates in his own party and suppression of parliaments voice to the Nazi’s of the 1930s is alarming. A minority’s ruling party dismantling democracy and turning on its own members to secure the personal personal power of the elite. Extraordinary. Please reassure me that this time democracy will prevail.

2. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Short of taking a photo of "borisTheclown (+ Damien) "from her handbag and setting fire to it before leaving the chamber, I for one cannot imagine any way the 11 "justices" could have shown greater contempt for the standards of conduct to which our PM adheres.

And how richly (sic) etonBoris (& Cummings) deserve the judicial put down.

Laphroig, Alice K, mothorchid and 3 others like this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Democracy is prevailing when leaders can be challenged
    As to your considerations, the parallels with the rise of Nazis is wrong.
    He brought back order and as a leader, he has to do so, even as Corbyn fails to bring order in his party. They are not dismantling democracy but democracy is challenging his decisions because it would not be possible if there was not an ability to challenge via legak ways.
    What prevails will not be considered democracy by many, others would see the rise of other groups as anti-democratic...
    The failure of the Tories was to not be organised, allowing those in power to wreck what had rightfully been voted for and the inability of the previous leader to push through the agenda due to not being of the conviction of the need of Brexit despite the words she uttered.

theselofane and Jesmond12 like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

5. grumpydogwoman

Am I going to gloat?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And rightly so. How did he think he'd ever get away with it.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nice to have the opportunity to feel proud of our country, however briefly.

Alice K, knitone, Lara mfl 05 and 6 others like this.
  7. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Well of course people are not being shot but they were kicked out of the party for daring to have a different view on the prorogation and no deal. If you think all that is decent behaviour then you live in a different world to me. I take you haven’t seen the programme. I would if I were you. It serves as a useful warning.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Alice K, bombaysapphire and afterdark like this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

One clue is that the High Court in London decided he had done no wrong.

theselofane likes this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You've been out-gloated!

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

So they should, If you say you belong, then sabotage the government in power you have proved your a traitor to the party. It's not wrong to have thier view but it shows what little alliegance they have to the party and leaders, even when he was voted in according to the party's rules. to the party!
    If you dodn t believe it go and join the Lib Dems who seem to desperately accept anybody with an anti brexit view!

theselofane likes this.
  12. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

That is not entirely accurate. The high court simply said that it was not a judicial matter. They passed no judgement on the legality of his behaviour.

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

bojo's end began when he got elected pm.

How can he possibly NOT resign?

14. grumpydogwoman

15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Fair enough, but that also answers GDW's question (how did BoJo think he'd get away with it) - viz. the lawfulness (or not) of this particular prorogation was not a clear-cut matter until today.

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I can't wait for the next Downfall parody.

Who remembers this song?

Shedman and ilovesooty like this.
  17. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

The majority of posters here are left-leaning, some rationally, some, er, well... shall we say "irrationally." But it's good to have a variety of views, and I for one welcome other ideas, as long as they are expressed logically.
    A bit of cut and thrust, a dash of sharpness or a sparkle of wit aimed at one's own views can be appreciated and sometimes learnt from, but sadly, the childish, facile, anti-conservative bile that sometimes appears is reminiscent of the worst extremes of some of the Radio 4 politics threads on the BBC a dozen years ago. The first post, and some of the silly graphics are examples of the more extreme frothing and I try to ignore such as these, but sometimes it's hard, and I would advise some posters that they should be ashamed of themselves, if I thought that they would understand the concept.

But to the question: no, he is not finished and it is not the beginning of the end. Our PM is underestimated at the peril of his enemies, and though I believe the power and corruption of the pro-EU establishment to be very great indeed, I still think it is possible for Mr Johnson and his team to get us out of the EU.
    The extreme left on here will probably not bother, as such people are not interested in views other than their own, but for the rational members here of any persuasion, I recommend this youtube video. It shows in my view a consummate politician of genuine ability, batting for his country. I hope he stays at the crease long enough to give his people the victory that his party promised and for which they voted. [And before people start making snide comments about The Sun, which I don't usually read, it has to its credit had the most up-to-date online coverage of the events of recent weeks, which it why it has usually been the first video available].

T34, BelleDuJour and theselofane like this.
  18. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

LAUGH OUT LOUD. Where do we start. --- Hmm-m, --- six parliamentary votes, six votes lost, -- Three court appearances (well of course he didn't appear though,) two times found guilty ---- No ability to control his own party, but like a new head given a failing school he expels 21 of his MPs (such a show of aggression signifies an underlying weakness), --- He has contrived to avoid all but one PM question time ---- he has failed dismally in attempting to meet the people. ----- Almost everybody who has had dealings with him consider him lazy and a liar ( Go back and look what his old boss Max Hastings had to say about him. -- And he still has to answer what he was doing making visits to his pole dancing friend who just happened to have been given £100K and several jolly trips paid for by our tax.

Where I do worry there may be some substance in what you say is that he is in hock to at least a couple of media barons who want to control our society and he is certainly so far up Trump's you know what, that he can tickle his tonsils. With such powerful friends who knows what may happen.

But capping it all today is the ruling of the UK Supreme Court that he has acted illegally and what's more involved the Queen in it. Boris is indeed despicable in all areas.

20. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

He doesn't agree with 11 supreme court judges. I didn't realise he was an expert in law.
    Anyway, it's all about stopping Brexit, apparently.
    Note: the hearing was about whether prorogation was or was not legal.
    Johnson explicitly stated that the prorogation had nothing to do with Brexit.
    So, he's just going to fly home and carry on as usual. No-one will notice that he's broken the law.

TCSC47, ilovesooty and nizebaby like this.