1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this taking the biscuit? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by emmaohwow, Feb 12, 2016.

1. emmaohwow

emmaohwow New commenter

Hello all,

I'm a part time Level 2 T.A and on a fixed term contract.
    My school are advertising for another Level 2 T.A, full time and it's a Permanent role.

I was told if I want to work full time (an extra 5-6 hours a week). I have to apply for the job and IF shortlisted I have to go through an interview and classroom observation.
    I truly believe we must work for what we get in life and everyone should have a fair chance but a classroom observation??

If it all goes Pete Tong, how silly am I going to look if I am not successful? Ha!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That is the risk (the risk of embarrassment) for everyone applying for an internal post.

How important is it for you to have the permanent post? Worth risking a few moments' embarrassment?

If you feel you can do the job, and fit their requirements, go ahead and apply. Don't let the risk of embarrassment put you off.

Best wishes

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Most teachers in a similar position would have to go through a similar process.

4. Brunettegirl

Brunettegirl Occasional commenter

She's not a teacher though.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I know she's not. I'm just saying it's how things are done in schools.

sabrinakat, minnie me and wanet like this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Look at the process ( if you are successful in getting to the interview stage ) as having a great opportunity to showcase (formally) your skills like the other candidates who are shortlisted.

7. Brunettegirl

And schools are a great example of good practice in the workplaceo_O. Shoddy examples of recruitment, in my experience, managed by headteachers and business managers who are not experienced enough or qualified to do so. And, yes, I worked in industry for years so I do know the difference.

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Of course she needs to be treated the same as everyone else! If any part of the recruitment process were omitted for her and she were not to be successful, she could complain under either the Part-Time Workers regs or the Fixed-Term workers regs that she was not appointed because she received less-favourable treatment and the school could have potential litigation on its hands.

Beware unintended consequences!

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. Brunettegirl

u

Yup. I too am perfectly aware of the legalities. As I said, I have worked outside schools too. It's the process that is disgraceful. Why make TAs jump through hoops like performing ponies, for a job that pays a pittance for the responsibility that they have and then say 'It's how it is done in schools'. It DOESN'T make it alright.

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don't interpret the interview process as jumping through hoops . In professional terms I am sure the OP would feel better( if she secures the full time role ) that actually she was rewarded on merit in the face of competition. No one disputes the fact that the financial remuneration is poor but this career choice is one she has made. Some commentators would say that she is in a stronger position as an internal candidate I could not possibly comment.