1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this support?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by wheelsonfire1, Jun 24, 2011.

1. During my placement I was struggling. My mentor said he would support me by reducing my teaching. He took away my top set classes and left me with difficult bottom set groups. When I queried this he said that it is easier to get lower sets to progress more quickly and this would give me evidence for my standards more easily?
    Is this right?

2. To my knowledge, there is an expectation that you will teach a certain amount to conform to guidelines, so I am not sure to be honest.
    I would have thought that it didn't matter which set you were given, as children progress at different rates. Perhaps the children he has given you are on the brink of moving up into the next levels, which will give you the opportunity to demonstrate that you have helped progress them forward. More than anything though, it's the assessment of their levels (whatever their level!) that features most heavily in the standards. Make sure you have evidence of this from marking books, APP, lesson observations, weekly teacher tutor reviews etc.

3. Also by giving you the lower sets he is perhaps concentrating on this as a development area. Generally the higher sets are easier to teacher because they contain more children who genuinely want to learn, whereas the lower sets tend to have more SEN/behaviour challenges. They have lightened your workload but he is perhaps thinking that you still need to get to grips with these areas if you wish to teach and pass your placement.

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

It's also the case that top sets do more work ( = lots more marking and the need to always have extension and extension to the extension work on hand).
    Though I had my own problems with bottom sets while I was training, they are easier than top sets in many ways.
    There's also the pressure from outside - those top set kids' parents will be expecting regular homework, high standards of feedback, etc., they know their kids should be getting A* eventually and will fight hard if they think you're what's standing between their child and a place at Oxbridge.
    You're unlikely to come under that sort of pressure with the bottom sets.