1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this suitable for Year 5/6??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Danielle1988, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi, I have my first interview next week and I have been asked to carry out a lesson for 30minutes on a story of my choice.
    My thoughts were to read the story of The Good Samaritan (Powerpoint on the IWB) and get the children working in groups to diamond rank the qualities of what makes a good friend (children having to decide the most important and least important from a mixture of qualities that will be given to them) As extension if they finish and also as differentiation children can justify why they have chosen to put the qualities in certain places and also they could make up a new quality and choose where they were put it.
    The plenary could consist of feedback and children talking and possibly debating why they have chosen the order of the qualities.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

2. What year group is this?
    My first thoughts are that it is broadly ok, but beware of certain points:
    -When you say 'read' the story and then refer to a powerpoint, do you mean read the story from the powerpoint? If so, please don't! There's nothing worse, and the children won't listen anyway
    -Are you positive you'll have access to an IWB? Have a back-up plan just in case;
    -The children may need to be shown how to use diamond ranking - don't assume they know;
    -In my experience it will take them 30 seconds to sort the cards, so you will definitely need an extension, possibly a meatier one than you have planned;
    -As an observer I would want to see how you included all the children in your class - this plan currently appears to allow a lot of children to sit back and not partake;
    - beware that 'debating' with a strange teacher is likely to take the form of one or two of the more self-confident children dominating the discussion, and the rest not speaking.
    All this sounds very negative - I'm sorry! Just make sure you are fully aware of your learning objective, and ensure that your activities mean every child present meets that objective.

3. inq

inq

Is this is at church school?

4. This is for year 5 and 6.
    I know there is an interactive white boars as I have been told. I thought doing the story on PP slides would be better as all the children can see and some children can be chosen to read it aloud.
    There was going to be a slide explaining the diamond ranking system- thought it would prove well as it is showing thinking skills. I can only have a maximum of 15minutes for the activity so the children have chance to give me feedback.
    I was going to allow the children to work in groups on their tables so I can walk round, talk and make sure all children are taking part. Also there is a TA who can work with a slower group.
    Hopefully the class will have lolly pop sticks so all children will need to think of something to feedback, if not I can ask certain children in the groups.
    If you can offer me any other ideas I would be very grateful

5. Yes it is a Catholic school

6. The good Samaritan is a story they will know so well that they probably will be difficult to engage. You could try doing something like using a picture book and working out what the story could be.

7. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

it all sounds a bit boring to me to be honest!!! sorry!!! of all the books to choose, i wouldnt use good samaritan, but then again, im not particularly religious

8. Ok then. Thanks for the feedback.
    I thought doing an RE story would be good as they tend to be short. Anyone have any other ideas that would be useful?
    Any ideas greatly appreciated

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

What topics are they currently studying? Which literacy unit are they doing? I would try to fit in with that...is it a literacy lesson they want to see? Is it an RE one? Decide what sort of lesson you are doing, (ie what your learning objectives are) and then the rest is easy (ish).

10. I am not sure what they are currently studying. The headteacher wants to see any story of my choice and I can make it any subject based.

11. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Hmmm. That's tricky.
    How about a story poem, and the chn have to plot the plot on a storyboard?
    I've just done a lovely week of work (I know its a week) on Char;ie and the Choc factory, just taking one scene from the film (depicting one chapter), and we used a storyboard to help us focus on the key ideas (that then led us to writing a paragraph or two).
    It's a mini-lesson, so you need to think of something that will stand alone....how about getting the children to write their own - OR what about getting them to analyse the difference between a story told/read/seen on screen? they could prepare a story to tell to the class?

12. A very good idea but for a 30minute lesson this would be impossible. Especially as I do not know any of the children or their abilities as of yet

13. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Will you have a whole class or a group? Remember, the people watching you will be wanting to see how you respond to the children....hmmm. Another thing I've done is told a short story and then got some children to come and hot seat the characters...I did this in a Sunday school with young teenagers, adn I used a story called You Are Special - its a Christian story which might work well in a Catholic school?

14. It is a class of 25. That sounds like a nice story. I shall have a look for that. I love hot seating but its hard to involve all the children. Thanks for all your help

15. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

When I do hot seating I ask all the children to make sure that they have questions to ask - I would give them a couple of minutes to come up with some questions, and then you could always pick them at random to ask them (keeps 'em ont heir toes!!).

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I thought it was a good story to choose. Show clearly how you are using a bible story in a PSHCE and literacy way, excellent idea for a catholic school.

I'd add a bit more activity though, maybe have a few at the front to act as you tell the story (they will almost certainly know it already) or while they retell it.

But be very, very clear what your LO is, especially if you are supposed to be doing a literacy lesson, and what the SC are.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh and I meant to say, don't rely on having lolly sticks or anything similar. I don't use them at all, thought a few staff in my school do.

18. Hi,
    I think it's a good idea to choose a religious story as it is a church school. I have worked in a catholic school and am currently RE co-ordinator in a C of E School.
    Don't be worried by over-familiarity with the story - children would prob have encountered this in some depth in year 4, but if you start from a 'what can you tell me' aperspective it should be fine.
    Even if its a Lit L.O. rather than R.E. , ensure you have a bible to hand and point out or find out if they know that it is a New Testament story, ask who told it, make sure you ask what a parable is etc.
    Clearly good potential for linking R.E. and P.S.H.E. which is great! I really like your diamond idea and given the brevity of the lesson I think your plans should work well enough.
    Catholic schools R.E. places a lot of emphasis on reflective (AT2) development. You are aiming at thinking/reflective questions, - another big plus.
    I was given a fantastic idea for a visual starter recently which might be workable for you - you would need three frames. The first should be a frame containing a photograph. The second, a picture by an artist, the third should contain a mirror. Introduce a story from the bible. Say that in life we are surrounded by ideas and images. Hold up the photograph and say here you have a frame containing a real image, - a snapshot of something that happened...second picture frame: here we have an artist's picture, but it is an impression, - it is the artist's interpretation, - it is what they saw, what they understood. Lastly hold up the mirror - say: look at your reflection. When we hear stories from the bible, we are given the opportunity to think for ourselves and maybe see and learn from our own reactions...we can hold the mirror up to our own reactions, our own thoughts and feelings...
    Yes, as others have said, be sure of your L.O. and S.C., but I think you have the makings of a really good lesson!
    Good luck!

Janice

19. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Hotseat the characters from The Good Samaritan?

20. Thank you for your feedback Janice. It has really helped me :)