1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this suitable for a GCSE ensemble performance?

Discussion in 'Music' started by saxo07, Feb 16, 2012.

1. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

Hi all
    I have four very talented musicians in my Yr 11 group and I have recorded them playing a marimba/xylophone/glockenspiel arrangement of the theme from 'Pirates of the Caribbean' which a PGCE student of mine arranged for them about a year ago.
    They are really keen to submit this as an ensemble performance and while it would score highly for interpretation, it is difficult to follow who is playing which line (even though the score is very clear), because it is played quickly.
    In my heart of hearts I would love to submit it, but I am concerned that because it is diffcult to follow they will be moderated down for accuracy. When I told them I wasn't sure if I would submit it they look so disappointed, but I want to make sure they obtain A/A*s overall
    Any advice/opinions gratefully received!

2. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Surely if it was recorded well with good balance there wouldn't be a problem? As you say, the score indicates the parts. I would imagine that if the ensemble is tight and all four parts are technically challenging, all 4 pupils would score highly.
    I would go for it!

3. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

Thanks! The balance is very good and it does sound brilliant. I'm not sure why I'm being over cautious (they are my 5th group of Yr 11s). The parts are very challenging so it does tick all the boxes really