1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this strange?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by dizzymai, Nov 17, 2017.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Just visited a school where a Headship is being advertised and I fit the brief well and it is exactly the kind of school I would love to lead.
    I arranged a visit and went today. The Head welcomed me and showed me round but hardly spoke to me at all. She didn't ask me where I worked, she didn't ask me anything at all about myself, she was very factual. She introduced me to her Deputy and another SLT member but not to any other staff. She was distant and a bit off, really. Literally it was like, here is Y1, here is Y2 and here is the playground, etc. At the end she asked me if I had any questions but said that everything I needed to know was on the website. SHe made it clear that she didn't want to talk to me, really. She told me nothing about herself or the school.

I was a little surprised because at every other visit for any other job I have gone for, the Head usually talks at length about what they are looking for, what kind of a school it is, what the area is like etc. They chat to you and make you feel welcome. This was not the case. She said that she didnt want to talk to me in any way about the role because she wanted for it to be fair to other candidates, which I thought seemed fair.

Do you think this is true? I guess she might be unhappy about leaving and so finds it difficult to show prospective people around.
    It's made me come away feeling unwelcome and as if she was trying to put me off.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Perhaps the governors have instructed her to approach it in this way. They are the ones who interview and appoint not her. I wouldn’t take it personally. It is just being ultra correct about procedures.

dizzymai likes this.
  3. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

That HT won’t be on the interviewing panel anyway so their opinion doesn’t really matter. It’s odd though that they didn’t want to really conversate with you. I always make prospective employees welcome when they visit my school, it gives them a sense of what type of school they will be joining if they were successful in their application.

If you still feel that the school is right for you, then apply. It definitely goes in your favour that you have visited the school prior to submitting your application.
    You have nothing to loose whatsoever!

4. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Thanks. I agree. It felt odd that she was so off and non verbal. It has made me a bit paranoid! Like, maybe she wants the Deputy to get the job? Or maybe she has fallen out with the Governors and is cross about having to leave (it is an April start....which is a bit inconvenient but I didn't dare ask her about it). She told me nothing about the school at all. If I asked questions she was a bit defensive.

The school was gorgeous and the children were friendly and the staff smiled. But........

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I think sundaytrekker is spot on here. When a similar situation arose at our school several years ago, the governors asked me (then a level 3 lead TA) to show prospective applicants around. I, had very clear instructions - if we met the head or deputy on our visit, I was to introduce them but it was simply 'Enjoy your visit'. They were all given a school prospectus. I was to answer questions about the building, children, organisation, TA numbers, curriculum, etc - but nothing I felt was too 'intrusive' or would give them an unfair advantage if they applied. Interesting experience .... and my first choice applied and got the job!

6. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Seems she is aware that she was distant and has explained why.

Or maybe she's getting the push because she is like this with everyone.

I wouldn't give it another thought. Good luck if you apply.

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

People are weird. Don't worry about it.

wanet, Jesmond12 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Teachers are weirder. Don't worry about it.
    SLT are even weirder. Don't worry about it.
    Headteachers are also weird, I don't know why I worry at this stage?

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

When my job was advertised I took great pleasure in showing the candidates around and selling the school to them so that they would apply. A couple of candidates did not impress me so they got a quicker tour.

When it came to shortlisting the governors chose 4 to interview, two of whom I thought would do a good job. I had informal discussions with the C of G and I gave my thoughts on the candidates. The person who got the job was the one that I thought would be favourite and the governors thought so too.

The thing to remember is that every school will have their own way of doing things so what happens in one school may well be completely different in another.

10. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

It could be the fact that she wants the DHT to get the role- but at the end of the day she is NOT making the decision and shouldn’t have any influence over it.
    The best candidate for the role will / should get offered it. Simple as that. Do you know how much experience the DHT has?

As a HT, when I have opportunities for colleagues to be promoted, I make it clear that we are seeking external applicants for the positions and that the most suitable candidate will get the job whether they are internal or external. The old HT operated in this way too- it’s fair I find and gives opportunities to ‘inject new blood’ into the school.

11. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

If the Head has been forced to leave it might be quite painful to show people around, I would have thought. In any case it is unlikely to be anything to do with yourself in particular.