1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this sexual discrimination?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ndy1, Oct 2, 2018.

?

Is this sexual discrimination against a female in a male dominated school?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Hard to say

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. ndy1

ndy1 New commenter

My colleague who works in a single sex boys school recently discovered that, after a few minor behavioral issues a student was removed from her class to a different one, dropping 4 sets in ability simply so the student could be taught by a man. Apparently it happened in some other subjects as well and the suggestion was that the student would respond better to a young male.
    I feel quite angry that this has been allowed to happen. What message is this sending to boys who chose not to respect a woman in authority?

2. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Plenty of examples where women are given positions of power and/or authority in order to be good role models for young girls. Surprise, surprise: some boys need good male role models too. If you rail against the latter, you must also condemn the former. To condemn the whole gender ideology, you'd have to be opposed to quotas, inclusive initiatives, and the modern hiring practices we see becoming the norm.

Should a student not be taught by a teacher they don't like? Hard to say. Should we try to give students opportunities to engage with positive role models? Sure. For further reference, see Doctor Who.

forthejoyofit likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It is sexual discrimination against the pupil concerned and an atrocious abuse of setting. I hope his parents complain.

If this woman cannot teach boys then she should not be employed in a boys' school.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Am I to take it that there are a lot of female teachers in this subject? The lad has to drop 4 sets before he "gets" a man?

Well, the school certainly doesn't have a problem with employing women or giving them the top sets then.

If they think the young fella teacher works especially well with some kids? That's a business decision. Some schools indulge their students more than others and are happy to "give" them the teacher of their choice. Up to them! Maybe not the way I'd do it but the OP knows only half the story.

All I derive from this is that there are lots of women working there and they get the top sets. Secondary teachers seem to regard top sets as a vote of confidence in their ability so I wouldn't knock it.

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Would this boy, or his parents, have any objections to being taught by a woman on religious, or cultural, grounds, by any chance?

6. Vince_Ulam

Why on Earth would you go to this?

7. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

I wouldn't worry. Parent pressure is probably at the heart of this; t'was ever thus.
    When he is out in the real world he will learn to show some respect, if he wants help doing anything.

8. Vince_Ulam

Why would you think this?

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

We don't know the full picture - in general I would say that the student should be taught to respect women, and taking the scenario away just sets up for problems further down the line.
    I was warned, taking over one class, that a lad on the autism spectrum found women teachers harder to deal with - the school wasn't giving in to it, but sensible that the warning was there.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I suppose the discrimination is against the male teachers who have this boy dumped on them. I would be pleased to have the worse behaved members of my classes moved to another class. It has been known for badly behaved students to be moved into the classes of teachers who are better at class control, although the idea that this must be a man does strike me as wrong. Has the student been told he in getting male teachers? I suppose he might guess anyway.

By the way, are the teachers of all the sets in between the one he was in and the one he was moved into all female? If not, it suggests that the teacher he is going to has been identified as more likely to gain control than other men as well as women, making this not just a gender thing.

11. Vince_Ulam

We have no reason to suppose this pupil does not respect women. He might simply have a teacher who cannot manage behaviour.

12. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

This would indicate that the problem lies with the pupil rather than the teacher.

13. Vince_Ulam

Certainly no problem a competent teacher could not resolve:
    This looks like SLT favouritism.

14. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I know where you're coming from with this, but ultimately I think your friend is better off. I bet the pupil concerned doesn't find it to be the great thing they may think it is. Always important to pick your battles.

Curae, Piranha and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

I doubt this set demotion would have happened had this pupil been a girl and her behaviourally challenged teacher been a man.

ndy1 likes this.
  16. JayeTigger

JayeTigger New commenter

I was in a similar position whilst teaching year 6 a few years ago. I was truly stunned by the lack of respect some boys had for their mothers. For example when I suggested that we make Mother’s Day cards, one boy said, ‘why she’s always in the kitchen or cleaning?’ The majority of others agreed.

When I spoke to mothers about poor behaviour of their child, they’d often respond with, ‘right i’ll tell his dad.’ It was clear that the men would be in charge of disciplining the children.

The school didn’t help this idea when they employed male youth workers to council particularly challenging behaved boys. I would often feel undermined when one of them had to come into my lesson to ‘calm one down’ this resulted in the boy going out to play football for a bit after 15 minutes of work which I objected to as the children that managed to focus all lesson didn’t get these rewards and the girls were near enough ignored.

I did raise this with my line manger and pointed out that we were situated in a domestic abuse hotspot with many other issues which had roots in sexism. His response was that he understood my concerns but that it was easier to stop poor behaviour faster by just letting men deal with it. It was a hard pill to swollow but it made my life easier and my lessons run smoothly.

agathamorse and henrypm0 like this.
  17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Surely this is your school as well as you mention your colleague?
    To be frank, after a few behavioural issues in less than half a term, I'd be happy to see the back of them!
    And that's the point for most of us. Why cut of your nose to spite your face?
    The OP's friend has lost a disruptive influence from her lessons, why make a fuss?

Orchid2457 and Curae like this.
  18. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Yes, bye bye naughty boy, now can we get on with the learning. May not be the best option for that child, but it certainly is for the other 31 kids. So hey ho.

19. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Absolutely be glad to be got rid off. There was a time when I was used as a dumping ground " because you are so good and of a certain age " Oh please don't patronise me :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Yeah sure I might be good and old does not mean I wil cope with all that I am presented with.
    In short be relieved!

20. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Exactly