1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this "secret teacher" exaggerating ?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by FormosaRed, Mar 19, 2017.

1. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Like the OP I can agree with the behaviour points. The big problem with a pyramid discipline structure is that you have to get rid of the dedicated few who make it to the top of the pyramid.

I also question the motivation behind cheating,
    • To boost my performance management - I get that.
    • Because I like the kid - I get that.
    • The rest of the department is doing it - I get that.
    • To keep some waster on roll - No I can't see it.
    And before some poster reasonably points out that I'm the kind of teacher who gives the rest a bad name.... I haven't been near coursework for 9 years (and even then I was too honest for the low-level 'help' that the others gave).

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

To keep student numbers high, individuals are accepted for the course even if they’re not up to the required standard to complete it... this is so true.. I worked in a school where they willing accepted students into sixth form who did not have required grades. I was then expected to teach A'Level Law to students who gained E at English, could not write a paragraph, let alone an essay yet it was acceptable to allow them into Sixth Form as the school got more money... until Ofsted found out and failed the school!

saluki and pepper5 like this.
  4. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

we have this problem at the moment. Students accepted for Sixth Form who don't have maths and english GCSEs... and then we are expected to get them a D* in BTEC.... an A* equivalent... which is bloody hard these days!

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

No exaggeration at all, a very accurate portrayal of the situation as I have experienced it.

The worst I ever came across in this awful awful "funding based on retention" bull hooks was a child with cancer I was instructed not to enroll onto a sixth form course, because she might mess our statistics up if she did not complete...... instructions I totally ignored, much to the fury of my line manager.

But yes, enrolling completely inappropriate students onto courses way beyond them, then doing the work for them, all completely normal.

Then what? They get university places on the basis of totally fabricated results, and fail in their first few months, this is a common result.

Total total waste of time and money for absolutely everyone involved, most of all the students, who haven't learnt anything at all, academically or personally, from their sixth form experience.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I believe every single word of the Secret Teacher's account since some school managers will do anything for money and I don't blame the Secret Teacher for leaving the profession.

Well done for your brave stance for the student with cancer - I admire you for standing up for what was the right thing to do. Poor kid. Studying perhaps might have been the one thing they enjoyed and gave them something to keep their mind busy and off the cancer. How could someone be so cruel to say she shouldn't enroll?

Isoceles and dunnocks like this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

and you are given impossible targets based on the "average" achievements of students with the same prior achievement, which only goes to prove that the cheating must be nationwide, and wholesale.

So your option is basically join in with the cheating, or capability

Isoceles, guinnesspuss and pepper5 like this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It is a disgraceful and corrupt way to organise an education system.

Isoceles, guinnesspuss and dunnocks like this.
  9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Yes, and it is a catastrophic, and quite frankly sinful, waste of years of young people's lives