1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this salary accomplishable?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by krakowiak6, Aug 25, 2019.

1. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

https://www.totaljobs.com/job/sales-agent/castle-hotel-services-limited-job87713699

I was looking at jobs and saw this (not that I searched for it or am interested in applying).
    It is as a self employed RAC salesman and states that you can earn 40-65k (one advert I saw on the same page said up to 80k).

Is this possible self employed? I have seen the AA and RAC at supermarkets and in towns trying toget customers but most people just walk straightr past. How easy do you think it would be to make this sort of money? IMO I don't think it is achievable esp in a small to medium town. Possibly in a large city but I don't know.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Are you the Polish Reece ?

sabrinakat and mothorchid like this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

No, almost certainly not. Did you honestly think it might be?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You've too much time on your hands @krakowiak6 ;)
    As with teaching assistants, the salary quoted may well bear no relation to actual salaries achieved. :rolleyes:

DexterDexter, steely1, bonxie and 2 others like this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Agency ads for sales jobs that pay commission only are notorious for giving a misleading impression of what the average sales person can make. And it's self employed so you have to pay all your NI, pension, and no sick pay, no paid holidays no job security.

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

That salary looks like it’s OTE, but what you will find is the basic is about £20k- etc- not as good as what it seems- so many people have fallen for the trap- leaving a secure teaching role to go and work self-employed.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

I dont think there is any basic salary. At least it does not say so anyway. If there were, I doubt it would be as much as 20k, perhaps 12k. But it looks like it is commission only. ANyway what people have said makes sense.

DexterDexter and pepper5 like this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It says in the ad that it is 80% commission.

steely1, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

So if their earnings 'range' starts at £40k it would be a basic salary of £8k and everything above that is commission?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I assume so yes.
    And
    'To maximise the potential of this opportunity, you will be resilient with a high work ethic and commit your time and minimal investment.'
    So basically you will need to work all the hours God sends, standing outside in all weathers and put up with people walking past you with barely a nod to achieve anything like the salary we have advertised. Hmmmm clearly not a job of the cynical.

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I would say this was as accurate as the recent teacher recruitment ads.

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You would have both a large commission and a large number of potential customers.
    In a town of 30000 population, there might be 20000 motorists. Probably fewer than 5000 without cover already.
    £50 commission? £25000 to make.
    If you signed them all up, who would you target in year 2?

13. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Personally I wouldn't touch that job with a barge pole. Not very secure, unpredictable income and dealing with the general public... No thanks.