1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this right?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rnanhnbn2013, Sep 24, 2018.

1. rnanhnbn2013

rnanhnbn2013 New commenter

I’m just after people’s opinions. I have moved into fs1 this year and I am being taken out of class one day this week to cover the f2 teacher while they are on a course.
    I feel that this devalues f1 - as in ‘they don’t really need a teacher’ and I also feel it wouldn’t happen anywhere else in school.
    There are a few more dates where the f2 teacher is out and I think this may become a more regular occurrence.
    Do I have any rights to say no?
    Thanks in advance

2. rnanhnbn2013

rnanhnbn2013 New commenter

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Hi there . It happens sadly. I don't think you can refuse, but you could point out why it isn't a good idea , who covers you when you are out and if you're not covered how do they ensure ratios are maintained ? You could point out that they wouldn't do it in other year groups (or do they? ). You could argue it's unsettling for children if they have different adults in there . You could ask how you are supposed to fulfil your teacher duties if you are not in the class a lot .
    As it's only happened once so far , I'd be inclined to speak to the head and express concern that this becomes a regular event.
    I remember being pulled out of my nursery class to teach year 4 once , right out of my comfort zone at that time, I was never asked again after I made a fuss .

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They don't really need a teacher, do they?
    So and so can just look after them for a while, can't they?
    Can't they just come with you and join F2 while you cover F2?
    X can just read them a story or something for a time while you go and teach F2 can't they?
    Can you move your PPA, so F1 (each and every child a late summer born in that cohort) join with F2 for PE to save money paying for two coaches to come in?

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!
    But nice to know it isn't unique.

squashball likes this.