1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this right?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by captain_picard, Feb 4, 2016.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Hi,

Our HoD is on maternity leave. For her replacement, the school has appointed someone from a supply agency. No adverts went out. No interviews took place. Are schools allowed to simply appoint someone, perhaps permanently, without advertising?

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

3. captain_picard

Succinct. Thanks!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.

Even for Headteacher if they wish . . .

Best wishes

5. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Perhaps the head got a nice Christmas present, or slap up meal from this agency;).

I've personally heard of a case where the head of a primary school gave her hubby a job as a teacher, even though he had never worked in a primary school before. I won't go into any more details except to say that I'm almost certain the information was correct.

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Is this supply agency person doing the whole HoD job/role? I do hope so and that no one else in the dept is having to pick up any of responsibilities of a HoD. Is the HoD on maternity leave carrying out any of the role?

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

It could be that the school lucked out in this. There just happened to be a teacher with the right credentials on the supply books who was willing to do the job.

I've had several requests from supply agencies over the years regarding HoD jobs. I've always turned these down because I knew my health would not stand it. I have , however, been in a couple of schools (out of very many visited) where I have come to the rather shocked realisation that I was way better qualified to do the job of HoD than the incumbent. (shocked because I wasn't looking for this sort of thing and I always ruled myself out of ever holding such a role again)

8. captain_picard

Thanks for your replies. It just annoys me when schools are run like family businesses: a case of 'who you know, not what you know'.