1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this right? Quick question...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3279, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hi, could post this on Workplace Dilemmas but this gets more traffic.
    If you have rung in sick, would you expect emails in your work email inbox demanding information from your line manager?
    The email in question actually acknowledges that the absence is due to illness but still asks for information in terms that imply urgency is required.
    Ta

2. joli2

joli2 New commenter

No, that doesn't sound right at all. You shouldn't be bothered by more than a get well card if you're ill. You could also argue - why would you access your school e-mail inbox if you're ill? Ignore it.

3. Thanks
    Why would I access my school email? There's a very long answer to that but I won't go there! I suppose the text alerting me to the email might have something to do with it though. I note that there are several emails from my boss that appear to expect/demand immediate attention today.
    Pretty cross actually.

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

To be cheerfully ignored. Very bad form on SMT part. Could be very useful evidence at a tribunal save the e-mail just in case, sometime in the future x

5. Richie Millions

Apologies hope you feel better soon Poem x

6. Yes, you're right Richie, thank you. It's been printed and filed already.

Thanks - reckon I'll be ok soon

7. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

If it's urgent I would expect to receive emails or texts when absent for any reason.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ignore it, poeme - good management do not ever contact you while you're sick except to express concern. If you'd been run over by a bus and were unconscious they'd just have to sort the problem without input from you so, no matter how urgent they claim it is, it really isn't.

9. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Would you really? While ill with flu? Pneumonia? Just after chemo? While in a coma? Where would you draw the line, really?
    Or do you just like to think you would, being the perfect employee that you seem to be.

10. Richie Millions

Seren and I agree on so much I feel we could be soulmates x

11. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

If I had phoned in sick earlier the same day, I probably would not have flu, pneumonia, just had chemo or be in a coma. Does being off sick preclude use of the internet?
    As it is, the OP has been able to read the email, print and file it.
    Just email. If the addressee does not respond then they are too sick to reply.

12. As far as I was aware, and have had confirmed here, it is a big no-no to contact staff whilst they are ill. The reason I'm off sick would be a very big reason why the email shouldn't have been sent. As Richie points out, tribunals could, and probably would, cite it as harassment etc. Duty of care anyone?
    Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll tackle it when I get back to work.

13. Too ill to get to a computer. Turned phone off to get some rest.
    Perhaps off due to injury might be another matter? But illness needs mental and physical rest to recover fully

14. In fairness, I should have resisted the temptation to peek at my emails but that anxiety is connected with the reason why I'm off sick. Difficult to explain and I can't give more info than that.

15. I agree.
    Why staff aren't left alone to recover, I will never understand.

16. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Have, over the years, been emailed, phoned and sent letters during short bouts of sick leave. Never made much of it and dealt with it at the time but brought my respect for the SLT responsible to a very low level.

17. We don't know the full story.
    If OP set some work (not unreasonable, you might think) then it may have needed clarification, or some resources might need identifying or an alternative might be needed.
    If a child / /parent / agency had arranged a meeting and the input of the OP could be helpful / necessary, OP might be cross if not consulted.
    If OP was striking on Wednesday, clarification might be needed about whether they were now being "sick" or standing on their principles.
    If OP had taken work home for the weekend, someone might need to ask how it was going to be returned.
    If OP's department were arranging a Xmas meal, OP might need to be contacted for their thoughts.
    Reading between the lines, none of these apply, but a blanket "leave alone to recover" is not very sensible advice, IMO.

18. No, you're probably right. In fairness, I haven't given much information for anyone to go on so it would be difficult for anyone to comment on my situation.
    I do think, though, that if school/work is aware that someone is in a delicate state of health, whether that's bodily or mentally, they should be left alone to recover.

19. Poeme, I'm not sure how your school email system works but I know that one that is in use in our school can be monitored to see who is accessing their accounts, how often, dates, times, etc. If you are off sick then it might be a good idea to keep away from any school IT accounts - email, VLN, etc. Someone else might come along and know more, but that's what the IT folks at my school have said - and it's been used to target people for a little 'chat' about their lack of use!

20. The OP rang in sick. (See first post!)

If you are too ill to go in to work, then you are too ill to answer phones/emails etc

Back in the day, part of a HOD's responsibilities involved sorting out work to be done. Sadly it seems no longer to be the case.