1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this really true...?!?!!?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by AlexMcCloy_Furlong, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AlexMcCloy_Furlong

AlexMcCloy_Furlong New commenter

https://www.ft.com/content/43180458-9290-11e7-a9e6-11d2f0ebb7f0

Nice article that i'm sure lots of us can resonate with but the part that struck me was:
    'The grade 4 pass mark for the exams my daughter and I took was 41 marks out of a possible 240: 17 per cent.'

Can anyone confirm this, was for 2017 GCSE's not this year. I really hope it is a typo. 17% for a pass mark...

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

For June 2017 for Edexcel GCSE maths the grade 4 pass mark was indeed 41 out of 240, for November 2017 32 out of 240 and for June 2018 it was 50 out of 240.

I can't read the article, the link just takes me to a page inviting me to subscribe to the FT.

3. AlexMcCloy_Furlong

thanks for thie confirmation.
    i can't get the article to open from the link either, so google taking my maths gcse at 53, its the first result and will let you see the article.
    thanks

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Yes, it's true. And your point is? What fake outrage are people fomenting today?
    Anyway, you don't need an FT article, googling "edexcel grade boundaries 2018" gave me this:
    Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 15.55.53.png
    Looking forward to seeing how you're about to display your misunderstanding of GCSE tiers and grades...

5. AlexMcCloy_Furlong

calm down Adam. i was merely surprised that the % for a pass was so low and hoped some kind person, like gainly, would confirm that this was true. The fact that it came from an FT article has nothing to do with it and in fact I only read the article as I thought it might be a lighthearted read over lunch - not to get statistics, obviously, as the article isn't titled 'grade boundaries ...' but 'I took maths GCSE at the age of 53. Here’s what happened' hardly a headline that screams statistics, ;)

i hope your demeanour is rather better in your classes, a full year of that sort of attitude wouldn't encourage me but maybe it will you students.

Have a good term

6. adamcreen

Yes, my poor students.

OK, Alex, I think it's important if you work for an education company that you have understanding of how schools and exams work.
    The Higher tier at Maths GCSE covers grades 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. The questions are evenly split between 4-6 and 7-9, so the proportion of questions at Grade 4 is roughly 1/6 or 16%.
    In order to get the lowest grade at Higher, you need to get 50/240 which is 21%.
    So to get a Grade 4, you have to get all of the Grade 4 questions right and some of the Grade 5.
    That's not a low percentage, proportionally it's quite high.
    Maths has two tiers so that's how it works.

At Foundation Tier you need to get 57% of the questions right to get a Grade 4. Does that sound a nicer number to you?

strawbs likes this.
  7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Anyone involved in Assessment with marks involved knows that marks/percentages are meaningful only with regard to mark scheme. They mean nothing otherwise, absolutely nothing. 17% might equate to a great result as well as might 57.

8. AlexMcCloy_Furlong

Thank you Adam, very useful. As you say, it is important to understand these things especially as I work withing the education industry.

9. adamcreen

AlexMcCloy_Furlong likes this.