1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this really the best job in the world?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by DocWol, Jun 17, 2016.

1. DocWol

DocWol New commenter

Yesterday I met with Viv Grant, the author of the excellent book on school-leader well-being "Staying A Head: The Stress Management Secrets of Successful School Leaders" (I'm not on commission!), and we discussed many topics around the stresses of school leadership. During the meeting we got on to something that had been bothering me for sometime, the effect that so-called "superheads" have on the rest of us with their belief that this is "the best job in the world". I you genuinely believe that this is the case please ignore the rest of this but if you think that this is really hard work and that it takes up so much of your life and also takes a toll of your emotional well-being then you may be interested in having a read of my thoughts on this matter HERE.

I got into writing the blog because we are so good at worrying about the emotional well-being our pupils but I wondered about how good we are at worrying about the emotional well-being of our staff and ourselves. These thoughts prompted me to reflect on lots of issues around teacher and leader emotional well-being and so I started putting my ideas down in my "Teachers' Minds Matter" blog. Anyway please take a look if you are interested.