1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this really how they teach maths now?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Jan 20, 2016.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

[​IMG]

Sorry for all the bits, but nicked it off FB,

Mrsmumbles, lanokia and BelleDuJour like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's taken me a good few seconds just to work out what was happening in the second picture.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have never taught addition like that or taught kids who tried to use a similar method.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

'New Math' is an American thing. There is a lot of rubbish goes on in UK Primary but the National Curriculum requires that formal columnar algorithms be taught.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

no. never seen it. the fact that it says 'math' implies it's from america. you might do it like that on a number line, but not written out like that.

6. josienig

josienig Star commenter

I still don't know what's happening..where did the 2 come from?

aspensquiver_2 and ScotSEN like this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The 7 is split into 5 and 2 which are added separately.

8. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Because.....

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  9. emilystrange

so the 5 and 5 can be added together as a number bond

10. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Partitioning into tens and units mentally (50+30, 3+7) is quite common, but I don't ever see the additional splitting of the tens and units numbers.

ScotSEN and josienig like this.
  11. emilystrange

you would on a number line. get to the nearest ten first using number bonds. though the tens wouldn't be split after Y2/beginning Y3.

12. josienig

josienig Star commenter

SarahJayne66 and ScotSEN like this.
  13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

To me it looks like a method of teaching mental rather than written calculation. It's something I have to do a lot when tutoring kids for the 11+ because their reliance on a written method slows them down in the test too much, BUT it's not something that should be taught instead of column method, but rather something that's tagged onto the end once pupils understand what they're doing on paper.

I wouldn't bother splitting the 7 into 5 and 2 either, as I'd expect them to be able to add 7 and 3 (or any two digits under 10 - but especially two which were a number bond to 10) quickly in their head anyway.

For me, teaching maths has tended to come down to first showing them the proper method of doing things, then teaching them all the shortcuts and number tricks that you can use to get round having to do it the long way!

ScotSEN likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'd have added the 2 first. Then the 5. And maybe the 30 all in one go!

But it's just a method. Nothing odd about it. Partitioning. Will help lots of kids. Or a few.

I've been doing that (not exclusively that) and many other methods for decades.

15. josienig

josienig Star commenter

And I never heard of number bonds :(

yodaami2 and cissy3 like this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

What does 37 mean? It CAN mean a 5 and a 2 and 30. And what's 30? Well, it could be thought of as 3 tens.

So you use the counting-on method. Like calculating change at a till.

53 and the 2. Then top up to 60 with the 5. Then you've got an easy 30 left. That takes you to 90.

17. grumpydogwoman

All the different ways of making 10 or 100 or any number.

9 and 1. 8 and 2. 5 and 5.

18. emilystrange

splitting the 7 comes from chunking, but as 7 and 3 reach ten anyway there's no need for it. it's way too complicated in the photo.
    number bonds? the numbers that go together to make a given number? in primary we do 10, 20 and 100 mostly, but any number will do.

19. grumpydogwoman

Yes, for 53 + 37 you'd think they'd see the 7 + 3 immediately and want to make 60. By the time they can do tu + tu they should spot that combination instantly.

emilystrange likes this.
  20. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Tom Lehrer says it all..... :)