1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this racism?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MrsFBrown, Feb 16, 2012.

1. I have just started in a new school. I'm Irish and in practically every class my accent has been mimiced by students. I have also been repeatedly asked to repeat words beginning with "th" the implication being that I will pronounce "th" as "t" ie. Tursday the tirtiet ... etc.
    I have been asked if I am a "traveller".
    I have heard the word "p-i-k-e-y" being murmured about me.
    I don't know how to tackle this or if I should just ignore it.

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I think it's xenophobia rather than racism. The Irish are not a race.
    Either way it ought to be dealt with the same.

3. if they can see this rattles you, they've got you.Just smile and move on; they will look elsewhere in time.

4. I find the sensitivity of some students to accents absolutely amazing. As an MFL teacher, I am saddened by their seeming inability to transfer this sensitivity and gift for mimick to their MFL studies.
    It certainly belies many claims of a lack of aptitude for languages. Hassling a teacher seems to be all the motivation that's needed!

5. I have students who find my Southern accent odd. Generally speaking, I deal with it with humour, eg when they titter at the way I say ask, I add "that's how people in the South say the word that you pronounce as "ask" "(delivered with the strongest local accent.) At this point, they give up and accept that I speak differently.

6. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

It is certainly disrespectful if nothing else. If it continues after the initial novelty period then I would certainly do something about it - it's just plain rude to mimick people and they obviously view the p word as an insult, so they should be taken to task about this.