1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this one (the one) thing Wilshaw has got right?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Dec 2, 2015.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...ruitment-to-teaching-profession-a6755991.html

"Reality TV shows focussing on schools may be hampering recruitment to the teaching profession, chief schools inspector Sir Michael Wilshaw has said.

The head of education standards watchdog Ofsted highlighted the problem of growing teacher shortages in his annual report - revealing that 6,500 fewer trainees had signed up for the profession this year than in 2010.

“The overriding message from ... headteachers in schools of all grades and all types is that teacher recruitment is a very real problem,” said the report.
    Sir Michael said one of the problems was “there is too much depressing news about schools”, adding; “I’m not sure these reality programmes did the profession much good, either.”

Or should he just own up to his & OfSTED's role in this?

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I thought the 'reality' shows made the job seem a lot easier and rewarding than it actually is..

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    cissy3 likes this.
  3. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Is the man going to blame everything else in existence for the recruitment and retention crisis EXCEPT the actual problem which of Ofsted!!?

It reminds me of witch trials from the 16th century where women would point at others and cry, 'she's a witch' to detract from people finding THEM guilty!!

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Really ?, did you ever watch "Tough Young Teachers" or whatever it was called.

I make it a rule never to watch anything remotely connected with teaching these days, it's safer that way.

minnie me and FrankWolley like this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You'd have been safe watching TYT - it wasn't remotely connected with teaching!

cissy3 likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I once met the bloke from "Educating Essex" - I know his name but I won't put it on here. He became a bit of a celebrity and got a headship the following year.

I always get so embarrassed when teachers go on gameshows because they do so badly. I watched about 20 minutes of a gameshow the other day (I just wanted something to watch while I was doing other things) and there was a young primary school teacher on it - she was breathtakingly thick.

cissy3 likes this.
  7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

TV programming showing schools in action put off prospective student teachers?

I'm not really very surprised. Even the sanitised edited reality programmes show a work place that is not inviting. Poor behaviour, stressed teachers and in one of them a student teacher in danger of failing.

Yes Wilshaw is correct. They do put off possible student teachers.
    No doubt he would like to stop them. Trap a few more in a out of control system that spits many out a few years later.

He should look in the mirror if he wants to know where the real source of the increasing number of toxic work places find their inspiration. It's no good trying to hide the truth.

“Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you.”

– Yoda

cissy3, indusant and needabreak like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No, treating your staff like ****, refusing pay rises to hard working people, using informal appraisal and capability like they are lego brick toys, bullying and generally dismissing the teaching profession is why young people don't want to be teacher Mikey.

Not some TV programme that makes an easy, media friendly jibe, for you.

Yoda-, cissy3 and indusant like this.
  9. TimeBomb2015

TimeBomb2015 Occasional commenter

I don't recognise schools from any of the programmes recently. The Chinese maths experiment: the Crp Tc company played on the behaviour and put some of the worse on the TV all the time, whilst the other 25 kids got annoyed at the for-show rudeness. The headteacher of that school should be suspended for his inaction.
    But as to putting teachers off? Intelligent people understand tv documentaries are no longer real life representations. Only thick people believe what they see, and we don't want them in teaching - too many young thickos already in the classroom.

10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I thought the "Educating ....." series mostly positive in their depiction. I don't think there was anything too frightening about them as far as anyone seriously interested in teaching was concerned.

The "TYT" on the other hand was a public relations disaster for Teach First. If they were thinking this show would put them in a positive light, I can't help thinking they could only have been disappointed. The way the teachers were treated by TF tutors was appalling.

In common with other posters, I think Wilshaw is basically deflecting.

cissy3, indusant and lanokia like this.
  11. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

'One of the most common ways of not acknowledging our faults is to blame others' - Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

Seems appropriate here.

cissy3 and lanokia like this.