1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this OK for a challenging maths activity?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Leapyearbaby64, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

SMT currently making sure all lessons have challenge for MA children. So having a quick 10 minute drop-in in my maths this week. Have horrid cold/cough thing and not too inspired. We are doing shape and this is the first week. Most of the children know 2d shapes, so introducing 3d (which the MA mostly know - not all secure on cone). For MA I was going to bury shapes in the sand so that 1 face is visible and then get them to decide on the 2d or 3d shapes that it could be (without touching) so eg a circle visible at the surface could actually be 3 different shapes. I would ask them to work as a team or in pairs so they could discuss between themselves.

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Sounds like a lovely idea, might pinch this for myself! I think this is challenging them as you are asking them to use their knowledge of shape to identify them.