1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this normal at Primary School?....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Apr 7, 2011.

1. I overheard two women talking at the bus-stop.
    "I saw you taking the little one to school this morning. He's six now isn't he?"
    "Yeah, his mum was on the early shift so dropped him off with me. He was still in his 'jamas and half asleep!"
    "He was still in his pajamas when you bundled him into the car! I saw you both."
    "I know, I didn't like to wake him, poor lamb. ...I gave a bag with his clothes to the teacher and asked her to get him dressed when he woke up!"

I know that teachers are seen by some as glorified baby-sitters, but honestly....are Primary teachers expected to dress the pupils?!
    I'd have loved to have been at the school to see how the teacher dealt with the situation!

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

Not remotely normal!

3. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

No not normal at all. Such behaviour would,"normally" result in a phone call to the parents and most likely social services referral.

4. I take it you're SMT in a primary school?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I very much doubt that. SMT in all schools know perfectly well that referral to social services even of the most severe suspicions of child abuse result in not very much at all happening.

6. Richie Millions

No sweetie x I am a man of private income.

7. Richie Millions

I take your point Middlemarch but it actually depends on the relationshoip between the school and social services and in particular the effectiveness of the latter.

8. Richie Millions

This is a very worrying and dare I say it unprofessional attitude adopted by some of the weaker Heads today. They won't do anything so there is no point in reporting.

9. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

It would certainly be an issue of concern, let's put it that way.

10. Richie Millions

Beth sweetie I think it is Pyjamas x

11. You are a woman who is rich in fantasy.
    Have you ever been SMT? If not, why are you pronouncing so authoritatively?

12. I think, Richie, that you'll find either spelling is acceptable. (Although I do admit that my spelling can be a little 'creative' on occasion)

When i heard this being mentioned, my initial thoughts were really just surprise, and shock, that anyone could think it was appropriate to drop off a child at school and expect the teacher to dress them.
    I hadn't seen it as a case for Social Services. A lot would depend on whether this has happened before, and whatever is known about the family circumstances.
    When I taught, I was predominantly Secondary based (although I taught for a while in a Primary). At one place we did, unofficially, provide breakfast and would have a few jumpers available in colder weather. A certain amount of 'parenting' is par for the course in teaching...but hearing this story just made me wonder how much is expected, especially in a Primary setting.

13. I must admit I struggle to rouse my 5 year old on some mornings but you just do it ***! I tell her she has to get dressed and have her breakfast. End of. It amazes me that anyone would think taking their child to school still in jim jams is acceptable!!
    I could just imagine the look on the head's face if I tried it!

14. Richie Millions

Thank you Beth I did not know that x

15. Richie Millions

Sorry sweetie I do not know you unless you have adopted a new name. Unhealthy exercise. I am a man. I have been in the most senior of positions in many schools in the past. I am now a man who chooses to work if I wish to and live on my private income. Anything else you need to know sweetie?

16. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I've lost count of the number of referrals I've made to social services. Children living with crack and heroin addicts, prostitutes and pimps. Nothing happens. It doesn't stop me referring though. I pestered them so much over one family that I overheard the social worker say to his colleague " it's that bloody woman from xxxxx again, will you talk to her?"

In the nunerous suspicious child deaths in my authority last year, those children who were of school age had numerous referrals from school to social care. The schools we're extrememly concerned for their welfare. Unfortunately social care were not.

I'm on first name terms with the whole of my social services team. I average 6 calls to social care in Mindays, the rest of the week it's about one a day.

I'd also like to point out that anyone can ring social
    Services with a concern, not just the head teacher.

Going back to the op, I'd tell the mum categorically that it isn't a teacher's job to dress the child, and if they can't dress themselves, the mum should take them to
    ine side and help them. I'd also suggest they get up 10 minutes earlier.

17. You don't know me. I was under the impression this was an online forum where very few people know each other.
    I find the description of your background as surprising as the news that you are male. In my experience those who know most pronounce least and vice versa.

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Don't be absurd. It's annoying if a parent shoves their child in wearing pyjamas but certainly not the time for the head to ring social services. They've got enough on their plates dealing with real cases.

19. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

In response to Beth, I've never had a child arrive in their PJs but did once have a child who arried with one shoe tied on to her schoolbag by the laces, and one bare foot. She brought me a note which said that the child had got a carpet tack stuck in the sole of her foot the previous afternoon and would I please remove it so that she could put her sock and shoe on?
    I was pretty sure that carpet tack removal wasn't on my list of duties and sent the child to SMT to deal with. Her parent was called and she was advised to go to Casualty.

20. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Well... my 10-year-old next-door neighbour was recently taken to school in his pyjamas. He repeatedly refused to get dressed, making his younger sisters late for school.
    One day, mum decided to end the game, and took him to school as he was. She explained to the teacher why he was in his pyjamas, and he stayed that way all day.

Strangely, the problem hasn't repeated itself...