1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this method of teaching maths a familiar one?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jul 16, 2020.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

At least the guy promoting it admits he’s not covering anything particularly new. Most gurus try to convince you that their methods are completely original when experienced teachers usually know it ain’t so.

From the OP link...

Mighton is the first to admit that what he is teaching is age-old. He believes math has been overhyped as hard, and all that students and teachers need is to have things broken down properly. Many have dubbed these simple steps as “drill and kill”. But he says the steps can be made fun, like puzzles.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I watched a UK guru with a similar philosophy work with my Year 11s at one school. He focused on the tiny minority for whom the method worked and claimed a huge success. The rest of the year group had no idea what was going on and were bored witless.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Thanks for your comments.I never fully liked the separation of a class into sets and used to encourage interpupil working many years ago The the SMT demanded I taught in setted levels.And so the man.s comments.

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Just out of interest, are surgeons subjected to 'experts' who have far fewer years of experience in the field than they do lecturing them thrice a year (and getting paid more than they get)? Midwives? Lawyers? Gardeners? No, just us then?

Thisistheone, oldsomeman, WB and 3 others like this.
  6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Strange when my son used different methods to achieve the correct answer at school he was told off. His maths teacher said that he could get away with it at gcse but not A level. He dropped the subject.

needabreak likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

So the US government spent $2.75 million on a project which involved working out how to teach Maths to some of the poorest kids in London. 450 kids to be precise.

The study's conclusion? Only 14% of the kids at the start were performing to exam target, and at the end of the study as many as 60% of the kids passed their exams. Tada!

Don't forget-this was part of a study into which the US govt ploughed $2.75 million.

My conclusion? If you take 450 of the poorest kids in London and say to them "I'll give each one of you $5,000 if you do all your homework and score well in your Maths test" then 100% of those 450 kids will get the best Maths results in the entire Borough. And you'd still be left with $300,000 to give all the kids in the Borough a trip to Thorpe Park. Tada!

Or something like that.

8. WB

WB Lead commenter