1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this mean of me? Ex-girlfriend content

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jonha, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

My previous ex girlfriend ( we broke up last summer) sent me an e-birthday card a few weeks ago. I sent a thank you mail, said I hope she was well etc. She wrote back and said she was.
    It's her birthday today and I had no intention of sending a card, but my new girl, of all people, thinks that is insensitive of me.
    Is it? I can't see what good can come of writing niceties to someone you broke up with as I think it send mixed signals of intent.

2. Don't do it - could stir up trouble IMO.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Step away from the birthday message!!!

4. i agree with you. You have made contact, thanked her politely. Leave it there.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If you don't want to be friend with her,don't bother sending a card.

6. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Thanks all. [​IMG]

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Maybe your new girlfriend is trying to do the right thing by pointing out that she has no objection to your remaining in contact with the ex? Which could be said to be very decent and reasonable of her. But I should imagine she'd be just as happy (if not moreso) to know that you don't feel it necessary :)

8. "I'm offering you Kelly Brock on a plate here. "

9. More importantly: is she hot? If so get the card in the post. If not, then don't bother.

10. Don't bother. New chapter of your life and all that.

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Agree with the others. Don't do it.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

No disrespect to your ex Jonha, but sending you an e-birthday card isn't exactly making a major effort is it? You'll score more invisible brownie points with your current partner if you don't respond - make no mistake sir, you're being tested here ;-)

13. It was ex's decision to send you a card that's no reason to reciprocate if you don;t feel the need to. You have a new lady and unless you are still friends with ex then I wouldn't send one.

14. I fully agree with this. Don't send a card to the ex. You owe her nothing, but you will make your girlfriend happy.

15. Your ex sending you a card smacks of testing the water with you. By not reciprocating, you're showing that you've well and truly moved on.

16. I agree papaya. Send a cute little ecard to see if you are still interested. Sending one back may only serve to convincer her that you are...

17. As others have said, it is unlikely your present g/f is being honest with you - she is testing you. She knows about the card sent to you now, and knows there is a chance you will send a card back.

Therefore, no matter how much she says otherwise, she will want to know what you chose to do and she will not be happy if you write - cue endless hassles of her wanting to see the card, ask what you wrote and why etc etc. If you say 'I did not write as she means nothing compared to you', you will have a very happy New Year's Eve. Trust me!

18. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Do you have a current ex girlfriend then?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I still send my ex a card but I have a rather different situation as we have a son together so there is an obligation on me to get her a card from him as well as from me. She is also a good friend and she knows there is no intent there.
    If you have moved on and no longer remain friends, then no card. Your current girlfriend may be testing you or could just be happy if you send her one.

20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

He will have if he sends that card. [​IMG]