1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this man a bigot?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by keyboard2, Jul 17, 2019.

1. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Anything to discourage manspreading is a good idea.

racroesus likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

4. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Why is his religion relevant?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

6. keyboard2

Thank you.

nomad likes this.
  7. keyboard2

I think it's the angle for the prosecution as well as the man's objection based on his personal views.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Actually we are in bearded lady world.
    You are sacked.

9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Are you sure you've got the right one @nomad ? The OP states that the doctor was sacked but that's one of the things being disputed in the article you've linked. The link also disputes if there even was a bearded man discussion so maybe the OP's referring to another story where these things definitely happened.

10. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

Over the years many unscrupulous employers have taken the tack of telling people that they are fired, locking the site gates and then later telling governmental entities that staff were on strike or had refused to go into work.

Clearly either someone is telling fibs or that has been a catastrophic breakdown in communication. Hard to image G.P. would misunderstand something to the extent that they would believe themselves to be fired when they weren't.

The Daily Fail is a sensationalist media outlet.

11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

If someone tells me they’re a woman and they want to be referred to as her and she, who am I to say “sorry but I believe female pronouns can only be used for people who look a certain way and you don’t fit into that category”?
    Being so offended by someone’s assertion about the pronoun they should be referred to by is pretty petty and ‘snowflakey’.
    Even if this hypothetical situation were true, women can be 6 foot and can have beards.

12. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Also pretty strange to insist someone is female despite all evidence to the contrary. I cant help thinking the anecdote in the OP is pure fantasy.

afterdark likes this.
  13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

If anyone ever has any problem with the way I address them I'll just tell them I don't understand because I'm a duck.

14. Oscillatingass

Ah so you are "species fluid". As for me I'm cispecies.

15. afterdark

The article reads man ....not someone.
    The doctor's account is that he was asked if he would refer to a man as a woman and he said no.

The other details are merely attempts at reinforcement of male steroetype which the Daily Fail laps up.

If it is snowflakery then would you acquiesce to a person with a god complex demanding to be referred to as the almighty? (sorry asserting that they be referred to).

16. afterdark

I was reminded of this short video clip.

17. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

As I said. Women can be 6 foot, women can have beards. What is the actual difficulty in saying she/her and privately tutting to yourself that they’re deceiving themselves?

18. Oscillatingass

Well if someone identifies as a deity it is only right to refer to them by their chosen pronoun.

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

"I'm afraid I will be calling you Claire. Yes I know you said your name was Steve but I do not think you look like a Steve."

20. Oscillatingass

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]