1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is this legal ?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by strict1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Is it legal for a Director of Maths to teach 44 15yr / 16yr olds maths with no support from another teacher or support assisitants in a lecture room ?
    I would be very interested with your comments .

2. Is it legal for a Director of Maths to teach 44 15yr / 16yr olds maths with no support from another teacher or support assisitants in a lecture room ?
    I would be very interested with your comments .

3. DM

DM New commenter

There is no legal limit to class size in the secondary sector. I know of schools with substantially larger group sizes than this.

4. Thankyou .

5. davidmu

davidmu New commenter

I have taken two classes at once by having them in a very large geography room. Admittedly this was shortly before GCSE exams and totalled over 60 pupils. I have to say that they were very grateful and responded magnificently.

6. Thanks for your reply davidmu .
    Can anyone tell me why its not legal or that you can teach with this amount of pupils without support for this age group considering they are not adults like in uni ?

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think the original reply already answered this. There are no laid down limits on class size in the secondary sector in England.

There may be limits imposed by things such as health and safety or fire regulations.

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Which is why, for example, D & T lessons using potentially dangerous machines/tools etc are always (in my experience) taught in much smaller classes...

9. DM

DM New commenter

Even in D & T there are no statutory limits on class sizes just guidance.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Likewise for science there is guidance based of the floor area of the lab and number of pupils but it is usually ignored.

I have seen a teacher take combined classes of 100+ in the hall when he covered for the rest of the science dept out on a visit! He taught all our classes (of mixed age groups) simultaineously for the whole day. I lesson for everyone and this was in the days before projectors, IWBs etc. Just him on a stage with the kids sat in rows.