1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this legal - help needed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by abbyconn, May 29, 2012.

1. Hi, heres the situation- i have worked at a primary school in Worcester for eleven years now in the ininfant department. Five years ago the assistant head became the deputy and the role of assistant head ceased.
    The HT today informed the staff that another member of staff with a TLR is to become AH. This role has not been advertised internally, is this legal?
    I feel as though i have been overlooked over the years for any promotion and wondered if i had any right to complain.
    thanks Abby

2. Hi, heres the situation- i have worked at a primary school in Worcester for eleven years now in the ininfant department. Five years ago the assistant head became the deputy and the role of assistant head ceased.
    The HT today informed the staff that another member of staff with a TLR is to become AH. This role has not been advertised internally, is this legal?
    I feel as though i have been overlooked over the years for any promotion and wondered if i had any right to complain.
    thanks Abby

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Absolutely and completely.
    There's nothing to stop you complaining to the governing body that you feel it would have been more fair if the job had been advertised within the school and you could have applied; however, had they done this, the head could still simply have shortlisted his/her preferred candidate and your effort in writing the application would have been wasted.
    What would you hope to gain by complaining?

4. Thanks for the speedy reply, just wanted to check it was legal!
    Over the years there have been quite a few things that have seemed very unfair and this as they say is the "straw that broke the camels back"

5. Consider carefully if you think you are the victim of any form of illegal discrimination. Have you been excluded from this post because of Gender, Race, Sexual Orientation, Age, Religion
    In addition - if you are a p/t worker you can ask for an objective justification of the business reasons used to exclude you from consideration. If there is no justification or unsatisfactory justification, you may be entitled to claim indirect sex-discrimination if you are female.
    If it's none of these things then it is most likely a bullying campaign, of the sort a lot of us have seen many times but feel powerless to act on.
    It's not OK or legal, just very difficult to challenge in any constructive way.