1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is this just a blip or here to stay?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by claire_owen, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Well another day out of work as no supply work. I ve had 12 and a half days so far this term which I know compared to others I should be grateful for. However although I have chosen to do supply I need to work everyday really I am not lucky enough to only need 3 days which is what I ve been getting. I am reluctantly going to have to take a long term post if one actually comes up and I am looking into ways to generate more work in supply and outside supply.
    The lack of work is not a shock to me as its gone down gradually over the last two years. But I am wondering if this is just a blip we all have to ride through like so many in all industries or if the lack of supply is here to stay? Now schools are used to paying less for supply teachers,teachers are used to not going on courses or having time out of the classroom and ta s are used to being used instead.
    I personally think schools will regret using ta s or cover teachers in schools as standards and those all important results drop. So would that mean supply teachers come back into demand?

2. Claire you have been very lucky to get 12 and a half days so far this term. I have had 3 full days, 3 mornings and 6 afternoons so far adding up to the grand total of 6 days and 3 afternoons. When i decided to choose supply over contract i never expected to get full time work. TBH I didn't want that but expected to get more than the odd job here and there. I think schools just don't have the money and where i am no schools are offering teachers courses so the only work I'm getting is teachers off sick.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Claire, I'm now into my 17th year on supply (not by choice either) and I said about 5 years ago that I saw the 'writing in the wall' for the end of supply teaching, after I had just 1/2 day in that Autumn ter. I haven't had a single phone call this term!
    It may be better in other areas but personally long-term I don't see a future for supply.

4. I know I am lucky, but it hasn't been 12 full days and one half day I have just added up the full days and the half days I have had and that is what they add up to.
    However, this is not enough for me to pay the bills. So I am panicking.
    Not what I wanted to hear but I think supply is probably at an end too. I started doing it properly five years ago and wanted to make it my career. I am looking elsewhere now.

5. You should submit a claim for JSA. Although you may well receive nothing from them, you might receive some assistance from your local council with respect to paying your rent or mortgage. Submitting such claims is depressing and infuruating but it beats being declared bankupt!

6. Well 1 day and 1 afternoon this term for me and certainly won't pay bills. After being made redundant in march I am trying to get a job at least 3 days a week. Agency pay would see me struggle on less than everyday but adding in childcare it wouldn't be worth it. My JSA was stopped, not entitled ti any other benefits and my husbands income is less than our outgoings, most of which are fixed and can't save on them. Obviously we can shop cheaper day to day etc and we have had redundancy money to like on which was 1 months salary and thought I would squeeze a couple of months from it but actually only just spent it all this month. I doing freelance work too and have earned more there than on supply since April but jobs are few between and take ages to get paid for due to the type of work. This is usually 30 days after I invoice and my recent work was 4 days for worked to actually be completed this half term as schools get back to me with things so an hour here and there in reality ( endorsing awards schools are applying for). I applying for other work now but over qualified and under experienced in many other areas at the moment.

7. Supply has been very thin on the ground where I live. My agency has not found me any work so far this term. Luckily I have found some on my own. I am luckier than most as my husband works. In most of the schools I know HLTA and TA cover is the norm. I wonder how many parents know that their children are being taught on a regular basis by unqualified people?? In on Science lesson I walked in on , the children were being given incorrect information....scary !!!

8. Well it seems to be picking up now-thank god! I've had three days this week, not brilliant, but yes before you say it more than most. However, the last three days I have been booked and then been rung by another agency asking if I am free. Brilliant. Hope it lasts.

9. Yes, a better week for me too. Worked every day but 2 afternoons and 2 mornings so only 2 days really but better than any other week!

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

From past experience supply is always quiet for September and October but picks up after the first school hols. I have noticed its got even quieter in recent years as a result of cutbacks and increased use of unqualified staff although I've been OK so far.
    For what its worth I believe supply teaching is currently at its low point but will get better for a number of reasons;
    1) As more parents and other members of the general public realise the extent of unqualified teaching complaints will rise and there will be a backlash against their use. CSs are here to stay but in a much reduced capacity.
    2) Standards will drop and the government cannot keep lowering pass grades. Employers will start to complain about the unemployability of school leavers (check out the latest CBI report)
    3) Increasing costs of Higher Education will mean fewer teachers training encouraged with the news of poor employment prospects. Many current supply teachers will find alternative employment .
    4) There are too many poor teaching agencies around, many may fold.
    5) The new AWR requirements might see more schools employing supply staff directly and then the difference in cost between qualified and unqualified staff will lessen. (all of my work so far this term has been independant of agencies)
    Of course I could be a hopeless optimist but must finish now since I need to choose the colour of the new Ferrari I'm going to buy when my lottery numbers come up on Saturday.

11. I'm one of those who wrote about writing on the wall years ago, in fact 5 years ago predicting it would come to this. I'm positioned well enough to survive, I took on another non teaching job to bolster income, and it is enough to survive without further supply. Up until last year I was getting around 4 days supply and the other job, bringing in more than a full teacher's salary per annum. This is not a blip. I think someone in education once observed educational swings take 40 years, so if that's true it'll be too long for the pendulum to swing back. The future in education is cheap. and the future is anarchy too, an ever increasing mess. Future governments can always blame teachers and schools for when things go wrong, but the government is responsible for creating the situation. All this freedom in academies and free schools? Just wait until the pronouncements come that the freedoms have been misused. The real aim is to return teachers' pay back to where it used to be, very low.

I'm taking things easier, became seriously ill in the spring, now largely recovered, and working on creative enterprises, I've created workshops for schools, workshops and the fun of completing artistic projects begun years ago and put aside for "retirement" . Formerly a pc dinosaur, I might even have a Youtube channel in due course........

Good luck to those needing to work nearly full time. Hope things get better. Seasonally they should after half term. My area(s), supply has shrivelled up, doubt if it will ever return to make it a serious income earner.