1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this info up-to-date? (AQA English Reading Paper)

Discussion in 'English' started by roamingteacher, Feb 28, 2011.

1. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Taken from one of the many info sheets AQA have produced:
    Question 1 refers to the first source, called Item 1, and will test the candidates’ ability to retrieve
    information and ideas from the source text. This question addresses Assessment Objective
    AO2,i.

Question 2 refers to the second of the sources, called Item 2, and will test candidates’ ability to
    understand and interpret presentational features such as headline, sub-headline, pictures and
    captions from the source text. This question addresses AO2,iii .

Question 3 refers to the third source, called Item 3, and will test the candidates’ ability to
    understand and interpret meaning in the source text. This question addresses AO2,i.

Question 4 refers to the third source together with one of the other sources chosen by the
    candidate. This tests the candidates’ ability to compare the effectiveness of language used
    by the writers in the source texts. This question addresses AO2,iii and AO2,i.
    It seems to imply that the format of the reading questions is set to be the same year-on-year. Is this true? If so, how are the marks made up or will that vary?

2. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

This is accurate for the Higher Tier paper. Question types and mark allocations will be the same on every paper in every series. Helps you to prepare students for what to expect in the exam.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Thanks for these responses. I contacted AQA (at the same time as posting) and they say the same as you. And the marks on the specimen paper will stand year-on-year.