1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this how a society dies?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Feb 18, 2020.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Since when do we deny our population education and health care? Has this person not heard of income tax?

needabreak likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Catastrophism for clicks

needabreak likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is it healthcare and education they are being denied, or opportunity for social mobility?

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

We are born, we live, we die... Undeniable truths and in reality is we all die sometime but often we do not deal with death well and think society and the world owes us something... It does not, we are collectively part of that society so to speculate as if one is an outsider is to lay blame at other people's door, not helpful, and certainly not worthy of the time it took me to skim read the sceptics bile... If they spent as much time working for a better world or personal goals as they do writing this, they'd have less time to devise and spread such negativity

Honestly is it the decade of the miserable doom monger, or is anyone's random thoughts publishable these days? Oh wait, I know the answer...

For what it's worth, I think a course of CBT is in order.

6. needabreak

I haven't a first from Oxford, I blame society, it failed me, I was denied social mobility... Yada Yada... no wait I was provided with an education and simply wasn't ready or bright enough at that time, did it preclude my social mobility? Did it heck as like... what's lacking is, persistence and what is prevelent is the expectation that things be easy and handed over on a plate, we'll clearly life isn't like that and never has been so is society failing? No more than ever before... and no more than any known alternatives that have been tried.

Clickbait as someone already said.

towncryer likes this.
  7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Umair Haque is the author of this piece. I don’t think he fully fits the profile you outline above. I disagree with some of his works but he has also produced some really insightful stuff too.

8. needabreak

It would be refreshing to see his "insightful stuff" posted here, instead of this.

ajrowing, border_walker and Jamvic like this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D

needabreak likes this.
  10. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

What is it about? I can't click on links

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I am worried about the company he keeps; seems miles from my experience:

"If I ask the average Brit or American to consider paying for their society’s healthcare, education, elderly care, childcare, increasingly, the answer is: LOL."

needabreak likes this.
  12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It seems to be written more from an American than British point of view. Whether it accurately represents the US, I'm not well informed enough to judge, although I have read disturbing stories about illness when uninsured over there.
    As for the UK, sometimes we seem to be heading that way. I'm certainly concerned that retirement opportunities are fast slipping away from most people in normal life.
    Clickbait for the most part.

13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Given the scale of last financial crisis I think there might be more than just two countries that go under.

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

On a quick read, I recognise some of the statements made but really do not know enough about other countries to comment fully.
    I do not recognise the comments about the UK. Although I have no doubt you can point to somethings which might confirm the writers comments.yet there are no statistics given, the comments seem be more in the form of opinion then a study and the analogy with the soviet history is not a like for like comparison, for it fails to mention the politices of such countries or the reality today with the views stated.Yes it might point to a trend in a society but misses out the ecomomic reasons many countries slide,and not just westernised nations.

needabreak likes this.