1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this forum politically neutral or not? Moderator advice welcome.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Erin_Rhys, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

I am a bit bothered by suggestions by one poster this morning that posters should be reported to the moderators for holding views considered to be right of the spectrum. Perhaps the moderators could advise here what is or is not allowed in terms of political color, bearing in mind that a lot which passes for left of the spectrum is aired here already without complaint.

2. Erin_Rhys

Up for the moderators' attention.

3. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

What utter nonsense.

Vince Ulam was advocating the reporting of Single Issue Fanatics of whatever persuasion - which is why he said

"Report them where you see them. All of them".

[My emphasis and italics].

I have already replied to him, and to you, saying that I think he is wrong, and why I think he is wrong, but that is not the point of this thread - it is your ridiculous suggestion of left wing bias on the part of moderators.

The notion that there is some sort of censorship of right wing views on this forum is the conviction of a certain kind of right wing poster - usually as vociferous as they are ill-informed and irrational.

In many years' posting on this forum I have seen many posters banned - for obscenity, libellous suggestions about other posters, sheer nastiness and bad faith - but I have never seen one banned purely for holding political opinions either to the left or the right, nor, come to that, simply for being stupid, so you should be OK for a while longer.

It is, of course, possible that right wing posters are more given to obscenity, libelling others, nastiness and bad faith than left wing ones but I doubt it. It is, though true as a general rule that right wing posters are, like you, prone to allege conspiracies of censorship of their views, when often it is not the views, but the way in which they are promoted, that lead to the moderators stepping in.

In starting this thread you are starting a hare of outrageous falsity - that the moderators are censoring right wing but not left wing views, and I challenge you to prove it. Most conspiracy theories are vacuous nonsense, and yours is no exception. You'll be telling us next there's a bloke works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis.

Scintillant and HelenREMfan like this.
  4. Erin_Rhys

You have been a member for one month.

5. Erin_Rhys

A misconception on your part. I am a Quaker and hold what might be considered to be left wing, liberal views. Where you and I differ is probably on tolerance of others' opinions - and the freedom to hold and express views we consider repugnant.

6. Sid_Pubes

"Where you and I differ is probably on tolerance of others' opinions - and the freedom to hold and express views we consider repugnant."

Unless you can find one sentence in any of my posts where I say in so many words that I will not tolerate the opinions of others being expressed, where I say that people should not be free to hold and express views that I consider repugnant, then you should withdraw the suggestion inherent in that post and apologise for it.

"You have been a member for one month."

Wrong. I have been posting [under several different, but consecutive] usernames since 2005.

And if you are a Quaker [as I am also] then you should remember that speaking truth to power, wherever it comes from, sometimes has to involve speaking that truth robustly. Which is why I say again that your allegation of left wing bias is simple minded conspiracy theory. Years ago we used to have a small group of well informed, articulate right wingers on Opinion who were able to see round the first corner of history - Camelot, Drowner, Leatherpatches, Existentialtyke among others - with whom it was possible to have an enjoyable and intelligent discussion. Now the right wing seems to be represented by various incarnations of Alf Garnett. They don't deserve to be reported or banned, but I have no taste for starting dialogues with the deaf.

magic surf bus and Noja like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For info, when this website underwent a recent overhaul, a number of long-established contributors switched usernames before rejoining the forum. Sid would appear to be one such person.

You've been a member for one week, so you wouldn't have spotted this before pronouncing upon it.

8. Erin_Rhys

Okay SId, I didn't intend to attract your aggressive side, and I really don't have much clue what you are talking about in your second paragraph (history - of what?).

Waiting on the moderators if it is possible that they might clarify for us which political opinion is allowed here.

9. Erin_Rhys

Thank you. I do often wonder how some new posters seem to have such a deep history:)

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I cut my forum teeth on a forum which no longer exists and there, the advice if you completely disagreed with a post was to ignore it, then it would quickly slide off the front page. If the view expressed was extreme and designed to cause offence, read, report, ignore!! Again, this would cause the thread to fall off the front page. I have engaged in such threads but all that was achieved was a rise in my blood pressure!!

monicabilongame and Vince_Ulam like this.
  11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

All political opinions are allowed on here
    How they are delivered may be a consideration

12. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

Surely we all have a right to express an opinion and hold a political view of our own...just because we are all teachers surely doesn 'to mean we should all hold the same views?

If I don't like something that someone says I don't take any notice of them....simple.

As far as I am concerned ... Well I might not like what you say but I respect your right to say it.

13. Sid_Pubes

Waiting on the moderators if it is possible that they might clarify for us which political opinion is allowed here.

If the moderators reply, then they will tell you what I have already told you - that all shades of political opinion are allowed on here, provided that they are expressed in temperate language, not libellous, racist or expressed as personal attacks.

Thus, a member of the British National Party [I believe there still are some] might quote from their 2014 Manifesto their policy on Immigration:

"Mass Immigration is the greatest threat to our precious and unique British identity. The pressure on housing and on public services such as schools, hospitals, transport networks, welfare and social security is far too great. Britain’s full and it’s time to shut the door! We will leave the EU and take back control of our borders, deport bogus asylum seekers and foreign criminals immediately, crack down on illegal immigration, give no amnesty for illegal immigrants and crack down on sham marriages."

Such a series of question begging statements conceals, of course, the reality of BNP's racism, but my experience suggests that no-one would turn a hair if someone posted that on here. In any case it resembles UKIP policy so closely [which is precisely why UKIP is so terrifying] that it counts almost as mainstream politics,

Where we would move into the question of what may be unacceptable would be if a BNP member posted stuff in this vein [all these quotations are from Mark Collett, once seen as the heir to Nick Griffin as BNP leader]

"There's not a European country the Jews haven't been thrown out of. When it happens that many times, it's not just persecution. THERE'S NO SMOKE WITHOUT FIRE."
    or
    "I honestly don't hate asylum seekers - THESE PEOPLE ARE COCKROACHES and they're doing what cockroaches do because cockroaches can't help what they do, they just do it, like cats miaow and dogs bark."
    or
    "When these Asians go out looking for a victim, they don't go looking for Asian victims. They don't go mugging Asian grandmas, they don't go stabbing each other, they don't go trying to solicit sex off little Pritesh or little Sanjita, they go straight to the whites because they are trying to destroy us and they are the racists."

Personally I would not censor such comments - simply because they are so ludicrous as to be self-defeating. No-one could take seriously political thinking as crass, daft and simple-minded as this. But if I were Jewish, an asylum seeker or an Asian, I could be forgiven for thinking differently. And I would use my own freedom of speech to tell Mr Collett just how vile I find his views, and why I find them vile.

In starting this thread I think you have confused robustly expressed contempt for right wing political simpletons and their views with a desire to suppress those views. No such desire exists - at least among the posters whom I take seriously, although some of the left wing political simpletons on here make me ashamed of my lifelong membership of the Labour Party. All shades of political opinion - especially right wing politics - should be entertained on forums like these, if only because it is only when they are fully understood that they can effectively be countered.

14. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

So do you think it would be ok to have racist jokes on here? recruitment to the BNP?

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Your right to say it. Politely.

(And in accordance with the T&C).

Just saying that will not cause the moderators to see this thread or this post. You need to tag them if you wish to attract their attention.

Best wishes

lanokia likes this.
  16. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The suggestion by Erin that he/she is a Quaker, linked with some of the stuff written by him/her, is quite hilarious. What happened to "turn the other cheek"?

17. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You should tag the mods or communicate directly with them if you actually want a response.

18. Erin_Rhys

Thank you Theo - but I don't know what you mean by 'tag' and wouldn't know how to go about it.
    I have read some left wing opinions whose manner of expression are little better than those being complained about on the right; yet I see no fuss or outrage being made, or calls to report posters on sight. There is without doubt a bias and hypocrisy at play to some degree. As a libertarian I am uncomfortable with that, especially on an education forum.

19. Erin_Rhys

What a breathtakingly daft remark Jacob.

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.