1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this fair

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Limmer, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi James I haven't sought refuge in the TES forums yet during my NQT year but after today really need some advice.

I am currently failing my NQT year and the school have been brilliant in organising extra lesson observations and on going support.

However there was one particular group my HOD was very keen to watch me teach. I was suprised that they wanted to watch me teach them and sort of took it as a compliment as the same person had seen me teach a lesson before half term that was very close to being rated good.

What got me really spitting feathers was a member of the leadership team telling me at half past 8 that I was to be formally observed by the head tomorrow...

I know he is a very busy person but surely 24hours notice is not enough and means marking ahead of parents evening amongst other things won't be done.

I have a meeting with the county co-ordinator for induction next week and wondered if you have any thoughts.

Suppose my real gripe is that today it felt like i was being set up to fail sooner rather than later.

Any thoughts are welcomed
    Chris

2. Hi James I haven't sought refuge in the TES forums yet during my NQT year but after today really need some advice.

I am currently failing my NQT year and the school have been brilliant in organising extra lesson observations and on going support.

However there was one particular group my HOD was very keen to watch me teach. I was suprised that they wanted to watch me teach them and sort of took it as a compliment as the same person had seen me teach a lesson before half term that was very close to being rated good.

What got me really spitting feathers was a member of the leadership team telling me at half past 8 that I was to be formally observed by the head tomorrow...

I know he is a very busy person but surely 24hours notice is not enough and means marking ahead of parents evening amongst other things won't be done.

I have a meeting with the county co-ordinator for induction next week and wondered if you have any thoughts.

Suppose my real gripe is that today it felt like i was being set up to fail sooner rather than later.

Any thoughts are welcomed
    Chris

3. Hi. I agree that 24 hours notice is short, but the head may well say that notice should not be required as it implies that you will be doing something very different (better) than normal and surely you should be planning good lessons regularly. That said, there is the pressure element which does make things different. If the school has stated that at the moment you are not making satisfactory progress then the head must do an observation - that's part of the statutory guidance. It may well be that your HOD chose this class exactly because you did well with them and he/she is trying to give you the best chance of impressing the head. A head can, at any point drop into any teacher's lesson and while that is not the same as a formal observation, it is after all their school and they have the responsibility for what happens in every classroom. Remember also that the. New government wishes to lift restrictions on head teachers over the number of times they observe teachers so that unannounced formal observations could become reality. What you need to do is make sure that your lesson is a meeting the standards. So ensure that the child,en know what they are doing what the objectives for the lesson are and make sure that here are regular points where you can informally assess their learning and at the end make sure that you have a plenary that summarises how you met the objectives and which provides evidence for you about the success of the pupils in that lesson. Try to identify things that the children know, understand or can do at the end of the lesson that they couldn't at the start. When you are getting feedback ask the head, if they give any developmental targets to be specific about the targets and link them to the standards and ask for success criteria so that you and the head know when you have met the target(s). Remember also that the targets must be SMART by nature - specific, manageable achievable realistic and time ralated and if they say things like - you must make sure all pupils are on task or engaged which is a common target that is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, ask the head to provide more detail on how they think that can be achieved and to illustrate with perhaps an example from their own teaching. That usually stumps them and they soon change the target to something mo realistic! Oh and good luck! James

4. I've been categorically told by my school that no notice is required for a formal observation. I have the same feeling as you, really.

I was told that I need to do much less lesson planning and focus on making some specific resources. So I reduced my lesson planning and focused on making the resources. A week later, while I was still doing what I was told, I got to one of my lessons and while I was taking the register, deputy head walked in and sat down and observed me! I was a wreck all day (I know, over-reaction). When I was making the resources after school i got pulled away for another meeting, where I got absolutely battered for not spending enough time on my lesson planning and assessment in the last week. I went home and sobbed n my boyfriend.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it feels awful when you're in that position, but there's nothing we can do about it. You are expected to find 27 hours in the day and sleep as well. You don't have any rights of notice, apparently.

5. Good luck!! It does seem like short notice but I'm sure it's alllowed. It sounsd like it's going to be one of your better classes - so it's a good opportunity to show what you can do.

at my school the head teacher and rest of SLT frequently pop into my lessons unannounced. I'm used to it now but the first time the head came in was on a really bad day, I was knackered and hadn't planned properly, and he stayed for ages, what a nightmare!

awful!

The SLT at my school tell me I'm working TOO hard. Although whether they want me to stop planning my lessons, or to mark books even LESS frequently, they never specify...

6. hope it went ok Limmer!

I agree totally msloops - my mentor (who is fab, and totally recognises that she overworks and has no work-life balance, so is not a good example to me) tells me I should be working less, but I can't work out which thing I'm supposed to stop doing! I know I'm already taking short-cuts a lot of the time, and feel like I'm just waiting to be found out!

7. Cheers all - the past two weeks have been a bit better

It was particularly helpful for the local NQT co ordinator for the county in for a meeting with my HoD and the head mentor for all the NQTs in school. It changed the proceedures slightly for nqt observations in that they are now going to be based on the core standards rather than the OFSTED criteria.

I'm now willin to accept that I may have to leave in order to complete the NQT year which is a shame as I know that my lessons are getting better especially at ks4. This has led to improvements in behaviour with one or two groups which has been great for me.

I'll give it two weeks and looking at other peoples threads on here i won't be the first or the last to be in a similar dilemma so close to easter :)

Cheers again