1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is this enough experience to apply for GTP??

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by hp2010, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I have one year left of my degree in early childhood studies, want to get into primary teaching and ideally want to get onto the gtp rather than pgce, as i have a young family so the paid option would be preferable. Could someone look at my experience below and tell me whether i have got a chance, or if I am wasting my time and should concentrate on pgce application: 100 hours in my local primary school over period of a year, previous to starting my degree. 2 early years placements over the past year as part of my course. volunteer with charity Volunteer Reading Help which involves reading with 3 children twice a week, since jan 2011. 2 weeks in a year 6 class, particularly observing behaviour management strategies....... Other experience working with children: telelphone counsellor with childline (nspcc). work experience in a museum- Learning department......... I have been building up a portfolio of lessons and activities that I have done with the children (this was an assignment that I have continued to add to)... through my experience I have become confident in using the EYFS to plan for the children's learning and development. Does this sound like sufficient experience to be applying for gtp? or will they just look at it and laugh?!

2. I have one year left of my degree in early childhood studies, want to get into primary teaching and ideally want to get onto the gtp rather than pgce, as i have a young family so the paid option would be preferable. Could someone look at my experience below and tell me whether i have got a chance, or if I am wasting my time and should concentrate on pgce application: 100 hours in my local primary school over period of a year, previous to starting my degree. 2 early years placements over the past year as part of my course. volunteer with charity Volunteer Reading Help which involves reading with 3 children twice a week, since jan 2011. 2 weeks in a year 6 class, particularly observing behaviour management strategies....... Other experience working with children: telelphone counsellor with childline (nspcc). work experience in a museum- Learning department......... I have been building up a portfolio of lessons and activities that I have done with the children (this was an assignment that I have continued to add to)... through my experience I have become confident in using the EYFS to plan for the children's learning and development. Does this sound like sufficient experience to be applying for gtp? or will they just look at it and laugh?!

3. Hi I am just about to start my GTP in September and I would say yes you do :) As long as you can prove you are enthusiastic and you have knowledge to back it up you should apply.
    I have kown people get on the GTP with less experience than you so go for it !!!

4. I have been accepted on to the GTP starting in September, and I definitely think you have enough. I had 18 months experience teaching Key Skills to post 16 and have been teaching in a Secondary school since September (which was only 6 months at the time of my interview).
    Obviously I can't vouch for what entry requirements certain Unis have, and Primary can be more competitive than Secondary, but I would definitely advise you to apply. I am only 24 and was clear that teaching hadn't always been my intended profession, but that I was now sure that it's the job for me and that due to having a mortgage a PGCE wasn't feasible.

Good luck with it! ;-)

5. That sounds like more than enough. I did a GTP 4 years ago, and my only experience was one year as aTA. Go for it x

6. I think I will apply but I know that a lot of people in my borough apply who already are working as TAs and have a school to support them... But hey it's worth a try! Also does anyone know if I would be able to apply for the year following my degree, or will i have to wait until I know my degree classification and then apply the year after ? so many questions!!

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The key issue is the number of places available locally 1 check out the TDA website for the EBITTs in your area and the allocation of places they do have. In some parts of the country GTP is completely skewed to secondary places. You also need to keep in mind the inmpact of other developments such as teaching schools and the allocation of ITT places nationally.

8. jmayhem

jmayhem New commenter

Definitely enough as far as the uni is concerned. I just volunteered at a couple of schools beginning in the September before submitting my December application. Any other experience I had was from years ago and most unis want to see recent experience.
    However, you do need to find a school to support you. A lot of training providers won't even consider an application from anyone who hasn't got a school sorted. I looked up the schools in my area that had previously taken GTP and/or PGCE students and got in touch with them - in my case I volunteered with them but not all schools require that. Some advertise for a GTP trainee (look at individual schools' or local authority websites) although these can be very competitive. Best bet in definitely to approach schools directly and see if they will consider taking you on.
    Good luck.

9. Hi,

I'm just finishing my gtp year... I applied with the minimum requirement of 3 weeks experience! It's not necessarily the amount of time, but what you have learnt from this. On my course there's a huge range of experience - some people had worked as TAs, some changed career.

Hope that helps xx

10. Every EBITT Provider will have different ideas of what suitable experience is. What they should be looking for by and large is for someone they feel has the potential to become a teacher. GTP attracts some people for the wrong reasons.
    Your experience sounds alright, not enormous but relevant. Be honest about it and not try to inflate it as they will have seen that trick 1000 times and won't be impressed, just state the facts. If you can, talk about your knowledge and experience of "teaching and learning", or put more simply, what knowledge you have of how pupils learn best.
    Also a common question is 'Why GTP?', financial motivation is realistic and having a family is a very valid reason but it is not the most popular response. They will want to know why and how employment based training will suit you.

They won't laugh, write a good enthusiastic letter that shows you want to learn to be a really good teacher and have young peoples' interests at heart and you stand every chance of getting on. Ask the provider if they want you to find a supporting school first, or if they send you a list of schools to contact after application.
    Just finished mine in secondary PE so tried to make this advice generic (we had about 6 trainees with families so be positive). GOOD LUCK!

11. Hi. I also did the Early Childhood Studies degree. I applied for a GTP Primary place and PGCE place during the final year of my degree. Providers are happy to offer provisional places on their programmes conditional to you attaining the required degree classification. I was offered a conditional PGCE place in my final year, but didn't get on the GTP however, I had to turn my PGCE place down as I found out I was expecting a baby (who was born last October when I would have just started my course). I applied again for GTP whilst on maternity leave and got on the course and will start this September. I have been working as a TA for about a year and did some agency nursery nurse work, as well as two years volunteering one day a week at a primary school during my studies. I assume you already have A - C grades in Maths, Science and English?