1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this disability discrimination??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by strawbs, May 13, 2011.

1. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

I think you are right to be concerned, however it might just be an issue of the wording - perhaps your HT means we will do it for at least the fixed period of a term - ie they and you cannot change it during that time frame.
    You could ask for the wording to be along the lines of a "rolling contract" of a term at a time, but with the default that you can go back to you permanent contract when one of those "fixed term" termly contract ends.
    I would speak to your union rep or to your OH link for their advice.

2. Just to update this.
    I asked my line manager today why they had suggested the fixed term contract for me and she actually said 'To put it bluntly, it's so we can get rid of you if it isn't working for us'.
    Um....I think she really shouldn't have said that, should she?!?!

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

No she shouldn't, but unless it is on paper difficult to prove. At least you know that you need your union to support you through this, so that it doesnt happen. The Human Rights and Equality Commission offer advice.

4. Three years ago, I had a road accident which, quite literally, i was lucky to survive. It took me over a year to start walking again. To help my recovery, after one year the school for which i worked sent me to OH and then got rid of me on grounds of capacity. No help, no rehabilitation, phased return: *** all.

5. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

I'm curious to know why you didn't challenge this.

6. The Union did, on my behalf. However, as I was still not fit to return after one year, the LEA could quite ligitimately get rid of me on grounds of inability to work as a teacher. I was not passed fit for another eight months. With the Union's support, I applied for retirement on ill-health grounds, but did not get it as they considered that I was not permanently disabled. All I got out of all this was my LA gave me a Freedom bus pass a year early, as I was considered to have limited mobilty.