1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this crazy?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by aquiesce, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I have just witnessed the most ridiculous scene ever. A child, (2) using crayons to scribble on a piece of paper. All this was ch initiated. The childs key person asked about the work. The next second, the nursery manager flew over and said 'don't let him write there, he has to go in the writing area.' The child was in the creative/workshop area. I could have cried. The manager does not allow the children (or staff) to use resources out of the designated area eg no playdough in the home corner. I would welcome your thoughts. I felt so sorry for the key worker, and most of all the child. I am going to bring this up at a staff meeting, but I would like to know why on earth this person thinks that way?

2. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

I think that is rediculous! Today, i had a little boy (3) who would not speak to or interact with anyone in the class. However, he took some of the playdough, <u>from the playdough table</u> took it into the home corner, along with some lolly pop sticks <u>out of the craft area </u>and sat at the table. 2 children came along to join him, it was there he decided to make them a birthday cake with lolly pop sticks as candels and became involved in a great dialog. This would not have happened if all items were to stay in a 'designated' area. I agree with you, i would definately be high lighting this at staff meeting as there is no rational behind it. Ask your manager, 'Do you not read signs on a wall unless you are in a book area?' ;-)

3. This is ridiculous. I have pencils and paper all over the classroom not just on the writing table (as I would imagine most people do). I have found blocks (cakes) in a saucepan in the homecorner and children go to the creative area to stick things (pasta, tinsel, ribbon) in the playdough!
    What worries me is that she is the manager!!!
    Louise

4. I agree that children need to be allowed to move resources around the setting, but I hate the mess that transported playdough makes - can't help it!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

one of my inventive ones stuffed playdough into the computer.

6. You see - there have to be limits!!!

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Generally, I'm OK with children moving things between different areas (as long as they tidy things away properly when they've finished). The situation the OP described of such a young child not being allowed to write because it was in the "wrong" area is awful.

But, I do agree with those posters who don't like playdough being carried about. It is the one thing that I'm really strict on.
    My playdough table is in an uncarpeted part of the classroom. It's bad enough when children drop playdough on the floor, don't pick it up straight away, somebody else gets it on their shoe, and it then gets trodden onto the carpet (no matter how hard they try, our lovely cleaners can never get it all out).
    Letting them transport playdough to different areas of the classroom would just be asking for trouble.

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Sorry OP, was the boy using the crayons in the wrong area of the room, or using crayons in the right area but doing the wrong thing with them (writing rather than drawing?).
    Either way it sounds a bit OTT, but on the other hand I can kind of understand not wanting crayons all over the place.
    I can see it either way - it's "free choice" etc etc, so let them move everything round to fit with whatever they happen to be doing at the time. But it can breed the kind of child who comes round here to play quite often; still at 7 or 8 they "churn" absolutely everything - every play item in the house seems to move to a completely different place, and it wasn't part of any particularly useful play or grand role play game, just this general failure to understand that the things might originally have been in an ok kind of place for their purpose, and an inability to concentrate on anything very much other than playing with everything for a short period of time in a completely different place from where it started out.
    I can't really work out why children have this great urge to pointlessly move everything, or why they haven't been taught not to at home / nursery / school. If crayons are on a table with some paper, why not use them there. And if he was just scribbling on a piece of paper, why not ask him to do it in the area where he found the crayons and paper- after all it doesn't sound like he was doing anything too clever really does it - can't all 2 year olds scribble on a piece of paper?OK if it was part of some role play game or interaction with other children that necessitated moving them, but otherwise, why not ask him to keep the crayons where they should be?
    OK if he'd taken the crayons over somewhere as part of some role play game or other but it sounds like it was a just a bit of bog standard scribbling on a piece of paper. I'm sure his mother probably asks him to do that in particular place at home as wax crayons squashed into the carpet or hard-flooring are horrible.
    Sometimes this free-choice thing gets a bit too precious; it was not Einstein taking his first steps with general relativity was it and you're worried he might never carry on with it?
    And if the children move everything, how does another child find it when it all finally has turned into some random mishmash around the nursery?

9. Quality mystery10!!
    Maybe us adults need to learn from this and realise that we should NEVER consider taking food or drink to the bedroom, because the bedroom is obviously ONLY for sleep and sleep alone..... hmmm..

10. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Our carpets were cleaned over the holidays and all the playdough did come out. All back in from day one. Woops! However, it's also been pee-ed on twice, so maybe more regular cleaning is called for!

11. I've always let kids take dolls into the construction, cars into the home corner etc - but like others - I've drawn the line at playdough/sand/water purely because of mess and bent ear from the cleaners factor. I think there have to be some limitations on it in the name of common sense.
    Some people may have had more understanding cleaners than I did when I was in early years - I had one who was already pushing for the removal of playdough from the school completely (despite having it in a non-carpeted part of the classroom anyway) so I wasn't going to inflame hostilities in the playdough wars more than absolutely necessary!

12. There should be the opportunity to write/draw/ make marks in EVERY area!!

13. I agree - my nursery is very small, and things are constantly being moved from area to another - drawing in the quiet corner, bricks underneath the ict area etc. But the children are all aware that everything must be tidied away into the correct area before they move onto something else. And often, we have the bricks, lego and dolls all out at once, playing with them together.

Having an organised nursery room works for both me and the children.

14. I think most of us would agree that the OP's manager has not grasped the idea that mark-making is worth encouraging in all areas of learning and in all areas of the setting - except perhaps the walls (unless provision has been made for this too!!).
    As for play dough, I do really like the idea of using it elsewhere, particularly in the home corner, as it would really enhance 'cooking play', but despite my classroom floor being lino everywhere except for the carpet area itself, I just can't bring myself to suggest it. Children have not come up with this request themselves - yet!
    Someone else mentioned the need some children seem to have tomove resources around pointlessly. It has often bugged me too. But I have been reading a book, just for my own professional interest, about children's schemas, where transportation is just one of the schemas described. It is very interesting but I'm now trying to sort out how this can help me help children learn. It has however made me more sympathetic to their need to do seemingly pointless, repetitive behaviours.

15. I know that in my setting when the children have been transporting they've quite often used a resource in a different area in a GENIUS way which I would never have thought of! Then I've put out that resource in the new area the next day to save them moving it from one place to the next.
    We also have lots of bags in our role play area to encourage transportation, as well as small wheeled toys and larger ones outside.

16. mystery10

Glad you all took my post in the spirit in which it was intended. Just wish visiting children wouldn't bring their need to endlessly transport things to my house. I do enough of it myself and end up with my slippers on the mantelpiece and my umbrella in the fridge.
    What was the book someone referred to? It sounded interesting.

17. mystery10

And yes, food and drink in the bedroom is a very bad plan, unless it's bed and breakfast on room service.

18. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

It could be this one:
    [​IMG]

I haven't read it, but Sally Featherstone's books are usually good. (I'm reading this one at the moment)
    [​IMG]

19. The schemas book I mentioned was indeed "Again! Again!"
    I haven't started "Like Bees, Not Butterflies" yet, but I ordered it at the same time. That's my next read!