1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is this correct?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by newbee79, Jun 23, 2011.

1. newbee79

newbee79 New commenter

Quick question- I started a mat leave contract on the 1st September. I was told that the contract was for the full year but contract said 13th May. I've now been told that my contract ends 15th July and have been asked to come back in September. I won't be paid over the hols. Somebody has started at the school (3 weeks before we finish) on a mat leave and she is getting paid over the hols? Is this fair and what would you do if you was me?
    Hope this makes sense.
    Thank

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Negotiate more carefully at time of taking the job next time.

3. DaisysLot

So - to clarify your present mat leave cover contract ends presumably when the post holder returns in July? And the school would like you to return on supply in September? - It's a separate job, thus not continued over the holiday period.

4. newbee79

newbee79 New commenter

I was told in September hat it was 12 months. When my contract came through it said May. I queried this and was told not to worry about it as it was a full year. I was then told 31st July and now 15th July. Somebody starts on Monday and she is getting pad for the holidays as she ha worked for 3 weeks before the end of term. I know it is a new contract but I feel that the school should be fairer to me and pay me for August. When I got the job last year I spent all of August sorting out the classroom as it was left in a disgrace and didn't start till September. I've gone above and beyond what other teachers have done it the school and have been left feeling like i am not valued. I'm wondering whether I should even return in September or not. It's a 12 month contract in September as another teacher has resigned.

5. DaisysLot

This is unfortunately the very down side of supply or maternity cover. If you're really unhappy and feel you would be valued more elsewhere then move on, but a one year contract (get that in writing) is a good opportunity, especially if there is likihood of it being made permanent.

6. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

No harm in asking for clarification on the contract starting on 1st September - say that you want it to run to 31st August next year...if they say no, and you're confident of getting something else either walk away, or take it but keep looking (check that your short term contract has a 4 week notice - then you can take another maternity leave etc. if one comes up...)

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Is the maternity cover being undertaken by the newbie something that you could have done?
    If so you should have been kept on, the 3 week position should have been done by a daily supply teacher and the new teacher should have been recruited from September.
    What will your employment situation be in September?
    I'd be speaking to someone about this, starting with my Union.
    What is the likelihood of finding other work for September? They are showing immense disrespect by paying another temporary teacher, with 3 weeks in post, for the summer break and not paying youanything. I'd feel no loyalty to them and would leave them in the lurch come September.