1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this bad form?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by clairey179, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Looking for others opinions - I have a f/t perm contract, and have just been offered another f/t perm contract in a neighbouring authority. I've also just discovered that I'm (quite newly!) pregnant, which I didn't know about when I applied for the job. Would it be really bad for me to the accept the new post and not even complete a full year before taking maternity leave (I'd be planning to take my full entitlement).
    I do appreciate I'm in a very fortunate position to have a f/t contract as it is, but I'm thinking in whichever post there'll be a year+ long maternity leave cover available?
    Thanks for any opinions - I don't want to monumentally pee off a new school before I even get started!

2. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

If your new job is with another LA,how do you stand with your rights to maternity leave and maternity pay? Maybe you should find out about this?

3. yes, it's bad form. but you knew that already.

4. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

It might be considered as bad form but nowadays you have to do what is best for you. Schools do it,all the time.

5. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

Definitely check your materenity rights as these could well be affected if you move and do not complete a full year before you take leave.

6. You must work at least 26 weeks to qualify for full maternity rights.
    I think you should go for it - remember you will (probably) go back to work and this is a job you wanted. Explain to the HT that you didn't know you were pregnant when you applied for the job. It is the truth!

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Congratulations Claire on both counts! It's your call - go for the better post and enjoy [​IMG]
    Hope you are keeping ok, enjoy the peace and sleep cos this this time next year things will be different!
    Joni x

8. Depends.....
    If they have appointed you for a strategic leadership/management post they may be very disappointed to find out that you would then not be available for a year.
    Even if this is not the case they might not be delighted as this is likely to impact on their future plans which they had probably thought they had just solved by appointing you.
    Whatever you decide you should remember that many things can change in the space of a year.

9. TBH I would try to rock the boat as little as possible, but of course there had to be reasons for you applying for the new job in the first place (which you are perfectly within your rights to do).
    Now as for maternity, you should be ok as long as there is no break in service between jobs, as I believe that you only have to be working for any local authority not just that local authority to be eligible for maternity pay. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that's what the SNCT guidelines are.
    Of course the problem now is, all this is set to change in August and you could find yourself completely screwed over by COSLA and therefore your local authority.
    If it was me, I have no idea what I'd do, probably go with my gut. But I would suggest that if you were happy enough staying where you were and there weren't any major reasons to leave, then stay put for now. You can always go elsewhere once you've had your baby and returned from maternity.
    PS congratulations!!