1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this article not a good reason why emmigration to other lands is bad?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Apr 21, 2019.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You make an interesting point here. In FE you could become a Lecturer with an HNC/D or an FTC after completing a one year Cert ed. That was back in late 70's very early 80's then they changed the entry qualification to degree plus cert ed, through the 80's into the 90's, that was other than, for those already in service Lecturers who were funded to take the required qualifications.
    I have always thought that you need at least one level above the qualification you wish to teach. Then of course there is the touchy subject of the lowering of degree standards.

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Many TAs these days ARE qualified teachers with a degree.

However, I would not want my child to be 'taught' by TAs whose quality and academic qualifications cover a wide range. If they are good enough to teach, then they should be encouraged to become a QT - and be paid as such.

In any case, the job of a teacher is so much more than classroom teaching.

InkyP likes this.
  3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Maybe first step is to scrap all the licensing of many professions that is expensive for the individual and is on top of qualifications. For example, QTLS for the post 16 sector apparently costs about £500, involves loads of paperwork and is on top of their CertEd/PGCE and then you have to pay an annual fee of about £60 to be a licensed practitioner. My partner got a new part tie teaching job in FE and she reckons they didnt even ask about her QTLS and SET membership

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The CertEd teachers I knew really struggled with changes in the 90s and some left the profession then - early retirement was on offer in my area at that time. They may or may not have been good teachers but were, perhaps, without the wider professional and academic knowledge now required. Many, of course, did further training and upped their qualifications. I don't think I know anyone still teaching in the past 20 years with only a CertEd.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

One of my Grandsons has had a TA as class teacher for most of this year due to the actual teacher being off long term sick. She clearly knows only the basics of how to teach but doesn't know why she is doing it and is thrown by anything out of the ordinary like dyslexia.

chelsea2 likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

Why has the school not got a supply teacher in?

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

There were no O-levels in the 1940s. They were introduced in 1951 as a replacement for the school certificate (wh. The normal qualifcation back then to start on a nursing course was the general school certificate in five subjects, although I think there were alternative tests for those who didn't have the school certificate.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My mother left school at 14 with no qualifications but there was a war on.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

On the other hand, I know quite a few who didn't struggle, Maybe it was the introduction of changes? A level will require you to have studied your subject to a higher level to teach it, but Primary in particular, surely does not require degrees to teach?(sorry this is not a slight on the intelligence of Primary school teachers) You do need to understand the hows and why of teaching and how to introduce learning and information so that pupils understand and are able to re-utilise it in other ways. Yet many Cert ed teachers did work well with no degree. I did for over 4 years till eventually decided to get a degree through OU, and that was begun because in those days you got extra increments for that qualification!
    I was teaching in a comprehensive at the time. I could even argue that a lot of what I learnt was irrelevant both then and I the huge amount of education areas I studied for my degree and other qualifications.
    Yet if you are going to demand qualifications for a subject I do ask they make sure it's needy and relevant to the course, subject, career and aspirations of the undertaker of such learning.
    I still wonder if they demand to high a starting point for entry when in reality there is no such need. Exams basically just test your ability to answer a question and not your skill in undertaking a role or position which is learnt on the work face or studied to enable you to work at the task set,

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

2+2 will always equal 4, whether it's taught in primary school by a professor of mathematics or a bookmaker.

If a hospital patient is desperate for a bedpan, does it really matter whether the nurse who brings it has a degree?

11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Simple...the TA will cost peanuts compared to a supply teacher.

Unfortunately, increasing numbers of schools are likely to go down this route to save money as budget cuts bite

chelsea2 likes this.
  12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Money I suppose. I know they are supposed to get supply once the insurance kicks in but my daughter, who has been off sick herself for a large part of this school year, has only been covered by a TA.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

Shouldn't be allowed.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I agree.

15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

:D:D:D

16. oldsomeman

depends how the bed pan is handled lol.its got to be in the right place. :)

17. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Hypothetically, what would happen if the qualified youth of any country decided to leave in droves? Particularly what would happen in 20 years with an aging population and not enough active workers to pay for pensions?

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Nothing to stop a senior consultant going and getting one either.

19. oldsomeman

One great problem is that some schools do not take out insurances for illness. Therefore the policy cannot operate till after so many weeks illness, and if the sick person comes into school and teaches, then goes off sick the 'waiting before covered period' starts again.
    As to the use of TA's in school I feel it is an abuse of the system, whether the TA has a degree or is an ex-teacher in the school. A constant problem for me as supply was such use of TA's . Nothing against them personally but they did take my job away. They certainly were cheaper and then we had agencies which wanted to employ you as a TA with an expectation you would 'teach\ when n supply, but get less wages!
    We are meant to be degree holders and hold qualified teacher status yet the government still carry on the charade started by labour. Yet it remains the question do you actually need degrees which might debar entrants from a profession.I'm told even folks on the shop floor are being asked for degree qualifications even if customer facing. Madness in trying to believe you need such levels of qualification to work when you do not. I remember being told I could not do data entry work despite 2 degrees, one in IT, because I didn't have the correct numbers of O levels in the subjects, That was Reeds and I told them they were stupid pra ts.
    In days gone by you took aptitude test s and then learnt on the job and moved on to higher qualifications as needed.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Neither of the schools I mentioned are academies, all the LA schools have the insurance.