1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this article not a good reason why emmigration to other lands is bad?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Apr 21, 2019.

1. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

UK nearly 5 million nationals living abroad.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Your point being .....?
    Given the choice I would be out there with them. The UK is not a nice place, unless you happen to be filthy rich, but most of the filthy rich "Brits" probably don't live here anyway, they just suck the money they make out of here.

agathamorse and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Oddly, you've hit the nail on the head there, Madge. It's quite an achievement for a bean counter's tea stirrer's mate to work that out, so well done.

For the benefit of everyone else, at the time the comment was made to me, it had long been possible to get into nursing as an SEN, without the need of a qualification, although I suspect you might have needed something to become a SRN.

Nursing was viewed as a good career for the less academically able, but compassionate school leaver to get into; and if they wanted to stick at it, there were opportunities to progress.

The comment needs to be seen from the point of view of the person who made it. Someone who had struggled at school, but was doing a useful and valued job she enjoyed, being effectively told that things were going to change and progression in nursing would require qualifications up to degree level.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The main difference was that you could only become an SEN after a two-year course, while the course for SRNs was three years in length.

The entry requirement for either course was five GCE O levels.

(Information from my wife, who trained as an SRN).

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Not according to this. https://www.employment-studies.co.uk/system/files/resources/files/344.pdf

"A number of factors combined to change this situation in the1960s. The term 'Assistant' was removed in 1961, giving a newtitle of State Enrolled Nurse. Intakes to training began to growand the qualification was extended to 'mental illness' and 'mentalhandicap' nursing. Entry requirements for nursing wereconfirmed as two 'O' levels for enrolled nurses and five 'O' levelsfor registered nurses."

Jamvic and InkyP like this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I once worked as a secretary in the school of Nursing at Guy's Hospital. The minimum entrance requirement for SEN was two O levels and five for SRN but, because Guy's was so prestigious, many of the SEN applicants had several O levels and most SRN applicants had A levels or a degree.

Jamvic and Duke of York like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My mother was a primary school teacher [she's retired now].

Didn't go to University, went to Teacher Training College... didn't need a degree back then.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't worry - once we have Brexit - the numbers of talented young people emigrating from these shores will become a flood.

You don't believe me ? - my wife works in a very high powered research institute (has a number of Nobel prize winners in it) - funded to a large extent from the EU and containing researchers of many nationalities. In about a year the current funding cycle will run out. Due to our wonderful government and short sighted electorate many of the EU staff are making plans to leave - they will take a number of their British research students with them.

How many do you think will come back ?

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I thought you were for freedom of movement?

Bit rich to complain out people emigrating when you've not shown any concern for the impact of our immigration on the countries people have been leaving. Now you are concerned...

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I am for free movement and I'm not complaining about people emigrating - i regret I didn't stay in Canada when I had the choice in many ways.

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Fair enough. My wife trained in the 1950s.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You didn't need a degree (just 5 Olevels at some colleges) in 1973 when I left school. I left teacher training college after a term and 8 years later when I tried again you needed a degree.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My mum was an Enrolled Nurse in the late 40s/ early 50s and had no O levels whatsoever.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

M sister is a nurse - she started out life with a degree in politics.

Which has come in quite handy in her career I might add.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The old Cert Ed needed 5 O levels. They dropped the Cert Ed in the mid 70s and teaching became a graduate profession. There may be a few cert eds still teaching but they would be well into their 60s now.

Jamvic likes this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Same here. I went to a 3-year course in teaching based upon O and A levels.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Did you pass English ?

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Could you argue that you do not actually need a degree to teach, I have seen TA's teaching better than degree level teachers?
    Labour proved it when it introduced the idea of od TA's taking over the role of delivery in classrooms,
    So the wider point is do we hype up the need for qualifications to force folk to become university fodder? I can see the point of gaining a higher education qualification, but do we actually need degrees for entry into this job and other jobs (by the way I tend to see teaching and many other careers as just jobs, not professions).

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Well said Olds.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

LOL
    I am saving that one:)

Jamvic likes this.