1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this an ideal space to tutor?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Taboo71, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Taboo71

Taboo71 New commenter

Hi all,

I have been toying with the idea of becoming a private tutor for quite some time and travel to client’s homes. I am in the process of starting my business in January 2020.
    My daughter has now moved out of home to be near her university, her first year, and now her bedroom is free. Would this space be appropriate to tutor from home? I am planning to transform her bedroom into a teaching area with no bedroom furniture at all (much to my daughter’s dismay).
    Is there an ideal teaching space that should be used or not used and whether it should be downstairs or upstairs? My kitchen is off limits as I have a German Shepard. I am planning to extend my house and have an additional room built for tutoring downstairs but this will not be completed until next year.

Thanks for your advice and guidance.

2. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

Yes that sounds fine, however where will you daughter sleep when she comes home in the holidays?

3. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

My daughter's tutor uses a spare bedroom as her teaching space. She has a trundle bed in there so it can be used as a spare room too. I think this is fine and makes the most of the space. You only really need a desk, 2 chairs and storage if you're planning on tutoring 1:1.

I tutor from home and have used our conservatory, dining room and now have a garden office. I love my garden office and the fact I can shut it off when I'm not working.

suzette likes this.
  4. Telvis

Telvis New commenter

As a male tutor who tutors from home, I wouldn’t use an upstairs room or a room at the back of the house, so I use a downstairs room which faces on to the street at the front of my house. Parents who park outside to collect their child can see in, but as the street is quiet then there’s also very little distractions. This is the only way I would do it.

I remember once, when I was starting out and I went to people’s homes, I was in a house where on the first lesson the parent said in front of me to the girl that she was going out but if anything happened then she was to run to her gran’s ! I nearly left there and then! That’s why I always make a big thing of asking parents staying in if possible.

5. Taboo71

Taboo71 New commenter

I’m going to buy one of those fold up beds or we have a comfy settee!

6. Taboo71

Taboo71 New commenter

I thought about buying a shed and insulating it but as the nights are drawing nearer and it’s become more cold I thought it would be better to tutor in a warm house.

7. Taboo71

Taboo71 New commenter

I don’t have the space downstairs but the bedroom is at the front of the house.

8. suzette

suzette New commenter

I think the space you're creating seems fine. As long as you're away from family interruptions and you can have somewhere your students feel comfortable to sit and learn for an hour or so. Make sure you try to avoid the dog being in that room prior to lessons, as some students may be allergic. (You may need to let clients/students know that you have a dog because of allergies). I know that I get a bit sneezy when I travel to student's houses who have a dog, even if they lock it in another room.

9. suzette

suzette New commenter

I have a similar set up to yours. I have a studio that is at the bottom of the garden. One of the previous owners used to be a musician, so he used to perform/and teach music there. It's soundproofed as well. We also have a side gate, so the students/clients can go straight there (as it's well lit) to the study space. It's set up with a PC, printer and is a fantastic office/study space.

Remember where ever you tutor, to set boundaries and be professional. Ask students/clients to knock before entering, leave the door open/ajar and no pets in the learning space.

Taboo71 likes this.
  10. Taboo71

Taboo71 New commenter

Being upstairs would be quieter as my son hogs the front room after school and my hubby and I tend to spend most of our time in the kitchen as it’s the biggest room in the house - kitchen and dinning room. My dog is not allowed upstairs and I’ve already thought of allergies and agree with your suggestion.

11. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

My daughter's tutor (who tutors in an upstairs bedroom) also invites parents to see the learning space on the first lesson.

I have a chair (not a very comfortable one ;-) ) in my office and tell parents they are welcome to stay until both they and their child are comfortable. Very few stay beyond the first session.

If I tutor in the child's home, I insist an adult is in the house at all times and will only tutor in a downstairs, fairly open space.

If they even suggested I might be in any way 'dodgy' in front of me, I would leave immediately and cancel all further tuition. You have to set very firm boundaries with tuition parents and be willing to walk away if they mess you about.

langteacher likes this.
  12. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I find that many of my clients choose to use me because I am a woman and this makes them and the student happier.
    However I think this is wrong as I could potential be a danger as much as any man. (I am not)
    I always ask the parents to stay during the first lesson but the odd one wants to leave after 5 mins, I think they are too trusting to leave their child alone with a stranger. I would feel odd about having a bed in the room, but I would have a sofa bed if there was room in my office.

Piranha likes this.
  13. Taboo71

Taboo71 New commenter

I’m hoping the parent will stay until the time comes when trust is built and they feel secure, the child and parent, being left alone with me. As a parent myself I’m over protective and understand their anxieties.
    I do also intend to offer my services though the day and use that time to travel to a clients house. I agree completely that I too would insist a parent stay while tutoring, especially considering the remark you received from the parent to their child. Seriously? Who would leave their child with a complete stranger to begin with? Trust needs to be developed and that takes time.

14. Taboo71

Taboo71 New commenter

I agree with you. Having a bed in a room, for me, changes the dynamics of what you are trying to achieve. I want to set the room up as a mini classroom and having a bed in the room does not do it justice. My daughter suggested to have a sofa bed. Her room is a box room and I’d be limited on space to have a sofa bed unit with table and chairs.