1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this acceptable?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by georgie05, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Did some work for a nearby school in February. First time I had worked for them. I did about two and half weeks work. The Head called me in a panic on a Sunday night, he had got my number from an ex-colleague. He was desparate and told me he would give me more work than the agencies I was working for (and so based on this I stupidly cancelled jobs). I told him I only had a CRB for one of the agency I work for. He said 'just keep the door open when you are in class'

Now nearly half way through April and no pay!!! The council will not pay until the CRB and a police check comes through from when I worked in Spain. How pathetic I was ok to work but now can't get paid. What should/can I do?? I spoke to HR today and they told me regardless of how my police check comes back from Spain I will still get paid but they need to see the paper!!!! A bit late I would have thought when I have been getting these kids changed for PE and sorting out accidents.....

There is no chance I will work for this school again. A bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted. But to answer my quandry how the hell do I get paid???

Thanks

2. Did some work for a nearby school in February. First time I had worked for them. I did about two and half weeks work. The Head called me in a panic on a Sunday night, he had got my number from an ex-colleague. He was desparate and told me he would give me more work than the agencies I was working for (and so based on this I stupidly cancelled jobs). I told him I only had a CRB for one of the agency I work for. He said 'just keep the door open when you are in class'

Now nearly half way through April and no pay!!! The council will not pay until the CRB and a police check comes through from when I worked in Spain. How pathetic I was ok to work but now can't get paid. What should/can I do?? I spoke to HR today and they told me regardless of how my police check comes back from Spain I will still get paid but they need to see the paper!!!! A bit late I would have thought when I have been getting these kids changed for PE and sorting out accidents.....

There is no chance I will work for this school again. A bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted. But to answer my quandry how the hell do I get paid???

Thanks

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Whilst it does seem ridiculous that they've let you work without a current CRB check
    Actually if you were working ordinarily for the LA, you wouldn't normally be paid for any work in February until March 31st, so it's only a bit later for you. If like my LA the correct form is not sent in by 5th of the following mont,h it can be another 4 weeks before one is paid. So 4-8 weeks in arrears is quite usual with odd months where I've had to wait another month.
    If your LA is similar this may account for why you have had such a long wait.

4. Thanks for that. I'm just annoyed that I've been told it may be May or later..... 2 months I can understand. I'm just annoyed with myself for dropping everything to help them out.

5. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

Can you approach the head or bursar and ask for a SUB?

6. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Yes, be up front and gracious.......... any work direct with a school and get on an LEA books are worth their wait for the gold at the end of it. Approach them for a sub, or explain things to your bank manager..... this can be sorted out without you pulling your hair out.

Good Luck