1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a suitable activity for a reception class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Axxa, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Apologies if this is the wrong type of forum for this question, however I would appreciate some opinions from some teachers, or anyone who works in a primary school. For one of my university interviews I have to plan a maths activity for a reception class and was wondering if you though my idea suitable; it is as follows:

I thought about introducing the rhyme "ten in the bed" and choosing ten children to come and stand at the front of the class. During the first verse they get to do a little action of "rolling over" (perhaps spinning around) and when "one fell out" the child at the end could go and sit back down.
    Then I could ask the class how many they think are left in the bed, and see if the child who has answered has got the answer right/wrong by counting the remaining children, getting the whole class to join in with the counting.
    I could then say "so if we have ten people and we take one away that gives us nine" and perhaps write that as a sum on the board.
    The activity would then continue until the end of the song i.e. "there were nine, eight seven etc. in the bed".

I have looked into it online and I think this would be okay, but I would really like a professional opinion. I would be very grateful for any advice you could give me.

Thank you :)

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds great, but maybe start with 5 or it will take toooooo long.
    Also please call them number sentences or subtractions or calculations in your interview and on your plan. Do NOT call them sums because a sum is an addition and nothing else.

Good luck.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

The basic idea sounds fine. I'd agree with minnieminx about starting with 5.
    Also, think carefully about what you want the children to do for the falling out of bed bit. If you ask them to spin, then they could start getting a bit silly, and if you ask them to go back to their place then that could disrupt the flow of what you are doing. I'd just get them to sit down where they are.
    Maybe ask children to predict how many will be left in the bed after another child falls out (get them to show you by holding up the right number of fingers, so all children are involved), sing the song, and then check children's predictions by counting to see how many are left.
    If you want any more feedback, then it's probably best to post in Early Years as there are a lot of Reception teachers in that forum.