1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a stupid idea?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4561, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I'm in one of my 'had-enough-of-teaching modes'.....
    I don't have any major classroom management issues anymore... but am tired of just a general feeling of disrespect, chattiness... lots of low-level disruption.
    I'm tired of teaching a 'non-essentail' subject (music) on three days a week, but expected to maintain a high visibility in the community (concerts, musical etc....)
    I'm tired of the planning, the (over) assessment.... I'm tired of thinking about it.
    I spent the afternoon googling life-coaching courses, as a career change. I LIKE (big) people!
    I like helping friends with their problems. I did a counselling course years ago, and was told I had a natural aptitude for talking to people, and listening.
    I think I'd make a great life coach, and would like to be self-employed, and run my own business..
    HOWEVER....
    I'm so tired and depressed, I don't know if I'm clutching at straws.
    Is this a mad idea? Have I lost all sense of perspective? Completely lost the plot?
    Or do you think it could be worthwhile?
    Any replies welcome!

2. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Set it up in a small way to start - you can see clients on your 2 days you're not teaching. If it takes off - great, if not, you've not burned your bridges. I know you say you're tired, but a new challenge would probably perk you up. Spend this holiday researching what's already available in your area and how it's run etc. and then set a time frame to get started - maybe after the summer?

3. Thanks joli... but I should have mentioned that the course costs $5000, so I need to make up my mind whether I'm really serious about doing it, as I don't have that much spare cash (is possible with a bit of budgeting)
    But thanks for not dismissing the idea out of hand!

4. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Remember that it's exam season, and that this is when you are at your most stressed. I would make the decision in October time......

5. Thanks marmot... I'm in Oz, so this is just the end of the first term for me. However I AM very stressed as have a concert to produce next term, and I got badly burnt out from doing our musical last year.... but, yes, you're right, I probably shouldn't be making major decisions when I'm this tired...

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I say, "Go for it, girl!" If you keel over, baton in hand, they'll wheel you out and slot another bod in, and after a couple of weeks, nobody will notice. Carpe diem, etc. xx

7. Thank you! There's something in the idea that doesn't strike me as being particularly insane.. but I'm just starting to doubt my own judgement. But I think I'd enjoy it, it's a growing industry, and I genuinely believe I'd be good at it! [​IMG]

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

In Oz there are so many fitness fanatics that you could be onto a good thing. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

So personal trainer sort of thing?....working with fit young men.... that you get to see semi-naked on a regular basis... whilst getting paid for it?
    I don't see the appeal in it myself![​IMG]

Oooooooh.... I see....you are using this as a front so you can build up a personal army to protect you from the neighbours!!!! (beings as a 'certain someone' seems less than willing to put himself out and just shoot the *** for you!)

Seriously, look into it. ...See how good the idea sounds after you've taught a brilliant session - not just when you're feeling low....And if it still seems tempting - go for it!

10. Thanks Nutella and Bethannie! No, I don't mean Personal Trainer (I smoke and am skinny, but not very fit!!!!)..
    I mean a Life Coach... you meet people, and help them set their goals in life, and help them come up with strategies to meet those goals....
    It's an idea that I've tossed around for years..... but am becoming increasingly fed-up with teaching, and am looking for something else to do.
    (and LOL Bethannie... yes.. don't understand why Gibbs won't take out the neighbours for me!)

11. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Dear Beth, behave yourself sweetie x

12. Bethannie wouldn't be Bethannie if she behaved herself!
    It's why we all love her! [​IMG]

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I DO behave myself!
    Mainly through lack of anyone offering me the opportunity to do otherwise!

14. Nope, Bethannie... you continually misbehave...
    I think you need a life coach.
    I could recommend one......[​IMG]

15. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi Annie [​IMG]
    It sounds like a smashing idea! I would definitely do the course anyway as even if you don't embark on this straight away, it sounds like a definite contender as a future plan.
    One thing I'd look into (as I'm sure you actually already have!) is how many life coaches there are currently in your region. Is it something fairly new in Oz or is it already pretty saturated? Have a think about what would make you unique ... perhaps your music could somehow tie in with this.
    You do sound like a lovely person and I'm sure you'd do really well [​IMG] Keep us posted!

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You need to start at the other end to see if it will work. Is there any call for Life Coaches? It sounds a bit new-age nice to have but readily droppable to save money to me.
    Start by trying to find a life coach yourself, see what they charge and if possible (not sure how) find out how busy they are and if there'll actually be much work at the end of the training.

17. I'm going to be a bit negative: the problems you had with last years concert were partly self inflicted. Dande gave you some good advice but you seemed to just carry on without really planning how it would all work out. I think any repeat would be easier simply because you now have that experience of organising it all and wouldn't make the same mistakes twice. I also think that many of the life coaching programmes look like pyramid selling schemes. You qualify and then make money persuading other people they want you to train them to become life coaches too. And then there's the question of how many clients there are out there - have you researched this at all? It seems a luxury service in a time when people don't have a lot of money.

18. Thanks Tartetatin, Mangleworze and Airy!
    Yes.... I live in a rural area, so life coaches aren't exactly thick on the ground.
    My idea is that I could start studying while still teaching, and then start building up a client base, BEFORE I do anything mad like give up teaching.
    Airy..... I DID take Dande's latter advice, and was grateful for it. I ignored his initial "GIve up now.. you're doomed to failure!" as it my HOD wanted the musical, and I wasn't in a position to abandon it. And yes.. I didn't know how it would work out... I made it clear I'd never done one before... but as it was it was a success.
    This year's concert is a themed concert.... nothing as major as a musical, so a lot of work and stress still... but nothing as bad as last year.
    But you're right about the pyramid selling schemes.. BUT I'm not interested in those. I'm looking at a Level IV Certificate or Diploma in Life Coaching, which are Government accredited schemes, which give a certified qualification, and aren't dependant on you signing anyone else up.
    They're more expensive ($5000) but worth it, I think...

19. I think that getting new quals is always a good thing, but can you afford to spend this money with possible nil return? If so just do it. Over here we are in a recession and people are really struggling financially. In those circumstances I you need to consider how many people actually have money to spend on this kind of thing. How much will one session cost, and how long will it take to recoup the cost of the course before you start actually being able to make money out of it?

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It makes me think of a barter scheme in the town where my SiL lives, you signed up to it and said what you could give and what you needed. If your requirement was for a head massage or aromatherapy you were fine, the thing was everyone wanted a plumber or electrician and there weren't any.
    Is there anything more "necessary" you could offer?