1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a sign of mental illness to you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 3, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm still struggling to digest this story but part of me feels this shows a deep mental sickness in this woman [and yes I know I'm not a professional, and maybe I am being overly judgemental]...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...f=weird-news&ir=Weird+News&section=weird-news

What a waist.

Pixee Fox recently had six ribs removed to take her hourglass figure to new extremes.

Fox has reduced her middle to a mere 16 inches with a corset and believes she can eventually whittle that to 14 inches in a record bid for world's smallest waist, according to the Barcroft TV video above.

Cathie Jung is the current Guinness World Record holder with a 15-inch corseted waist.

"Getting my ribs removed has always been a dream of mine, " Fox, a native of Sweden who relocated to North Carolina, told Barcroft.

I guess she got her 15 minutes...

[​IMG]

Part of me wants that to be photoshopped.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Shame is... if you look at the pictures of her from before any alteration... she was a beautiful young woman.

3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It's a great look on Jessica Rabbit, but not on a real person.

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

What sort of surgeon would perform that sort of major and very dangerous surgery purely for aesthetic reasons?
    Disturbing.

5. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I don't think it is necessarily a sign of mental illness, but a subscription to male dominated over conformity, gone mad. Some women choose to be identified only by looks, and this is an extreme version of that. I would prefer to hear what she has to say for herself and why she has done it.

kibosh likes this.
  6. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Is it actually bad for her health physically? I can't see how it is much different to those women who have filler put in their bottoms or boob jobs. I think it's all sad mind - loved the young one on I'm a celeb the other day who said she just wanted someone to fall in love with her nose

7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The ribs protect the internal organs so she'd be leaving herself unprotected in any instances of trauma. Also, they're a big part of the musculoskeletal framework so I'd imagine that stability of that is compromised by removing so much.

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Guess that's why she needs the corset...

RedQuilt likes this.
  9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Cher was reputed to have had ribs removed for aesthetic reasons and Marilyn Manson was said to have had a couple removed so that he could, um, er, *scratches head*, no, I don't think I'd be allowed to say why he did it on here :oops::eek:

kibosh likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Really?

That sucks!

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I think it may not be the only 'work' she's had done.

Oh @nomad!!!!

Not sure about illness. What's wrong with 'stupidity'?

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

It used to be said that this procedure began in the Victorian era, probably owing to the corsets of the era. But this has recently been debunked due to the extremely dangerous nature of the op.

upload_2015-12-3_13-26-32.jpeg

Most plastic surgeons in the USA consider the op a no-go.
    http://www.plasticsurgeryportal.com/articles/rib-removal-waist-reduction/291

''Is Rib Removal Too Risky?
    Most board-certified plastic surgeons feel that rib removal is too extreme of a procedure to be performed for cosmetic reasons. The ribcage’s essential function is to protect vital organs. Even the lowermost ribs that are removed during rib removal surgery are positioned around some very important body parts: the kidneys, gallbladder, and even part of the stomach. Generally, rib removal is executed for necessary reasons like bone cancer or developmental growth problems.

In order to meet the demand for rib removal in America, the procedure is commonly performed overseas during so-called plastic surgery vacations where safety requirements are more lax. Beware gimmicks and false claims from overseas plastic surgeons—the surgery cannot be reversed as ribs do not re-grow.''

These surgeons seem happy enough to do' butt fillers'' and all the rest of the milarky.
    =

Meanwhile, models are still being told to lose weight to extreme levels.

https://www.change.org/p/cj-dinenag...from-getting-dangerously-skinny-lfw-modelslaw

RedQuilt likes this.
  13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

It sounds very much like Body Dysmorphia to me - but I'm no expert either.

She was lovely.

In the video she lists the other procedures she's had done - and what she intends still to do :eek:

lanokia likes this.
  14. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Sounds like a problem. The woman clearly has issues.

15. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

She has a duck face too.

16. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

RedQuilt said:
    Marilyn Manson was said to have had a couple removed so that he could, um, er, *scratches head*, no, I don't think I'd be allowed to say why he did it on here :oops::eek:

Mathematically it could be described as a rotation of 180 degrees and a metre or so south..............

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I once knew someone who could achieve that feat of contortion - and with all his ribs intact too - the process began with a shoulder stand...

18. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Impressive!

19. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Well, I hope he had a good sense of balance otherwise it could have all ended very badly indeed.

cissy3 and RedQuilt like this.
  20. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Speechless! :eek:

snowyhead likes this.