1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a reasonable salary for Bangkok?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by FredGrod, Mar 16, 2012.

1. No tax? Hmmm....I'd question that...haven't heard of that here in BKK...IF it's 102,000, does your rent come out of that? If so, it might be tough, but your partner will probably work a bit? I assume you get free schooling or your child won't be in school.
    Again, check on the tax question...BUT, if no tax, it's not horrible.

2. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

My daughter is only 3 months old so my partner will be looking after her full time rather than working. The rent would have to come out of the 102,800.
    I'll double check the tax thing.

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Molly, there is no such agreement. There IS an agreement which says that you can claim back your tax but this can be a long drawn out process. Whichever school told you this information is, at best, bending the truth at worst they are lying to you. You need to look up the tax details, its about 20% on average going up to 30 when you earn more.
    Trust me, you WILL get taxed. You should e-mail the school and ask them where they are getting this from. Could you also please PM me to let me know which one it is? With those numbers it isn't a big one, perhaps a Saint?

We shall see,

Perce

4. mollymillions

I've PMed you Percy

5. Mollymillions
    Do be careful. We were told no tax too when we were in Bangkok and then after two years not only did we have to start paying tax (fair enough) but we were also told we would have to pay all the back tax for the first two years. We fought the school on it and won, but itr was a stressful time.
    This is a few years ago now, so perhaps the rules have clarified since then - but perhaps not
    Proceed with caution!
    Bill and Ben

6. mollymillions

I'm really confused now. Both the Thai and UK tax office say that if you stay for up to 2 years but no longer then you are exempt from paying tax, not that you pay it and then claim it back.

Clearly I'm going to believe what people who are actually there say though.

As I don't know for certain that I'll only want to stay for 2 years anyway and everyone seems to agree that you can expect to pay between 20% and 30%, that would drop my total salary to between 71,960 and 82,240. Does that seem like enough to rent somewhere half decent and still live a nice life?

7. mollymillions

This is exactly what the tax office just told me would happen. I'd have to save up the tax during the first 2 years in case I decided to stay longer but I can't work out how much that would be other than a really rough estimate. This is a lot more complicated than I expected!

8. Dear MollyMillions
    It seems that you are well prepared in that you know you will have to repay all the tax due from your first two years if you stay longer than those two years. We didn't know that, and were told that the first two years would be tax-free and that we would start paying tax from the beginning of the third year if we decided to stay. Your estimate of 20 - 30% is in line with what they expected us to pay, but do check as I am going back seven or so years now. It's worth adding that, in our case, when I say "we won" what I mean is that the back-tax still had to be paid, but it was in the end paid by the school not by ourselves. Clearly, that involved a legal battle with our employers whilst we were still working for them, which wasn't a very comfortable situation.
    Going back to your original question, the salary doesn't seem a lot to me and I don't think the housing allowance sounds very generous either. What you can get for your money will depend where you are in the city.
    Good luck with your decision!
    Bill and Ben

9. strangefish32

strangefish32 New commenter

Most decent intn'l schools in Bangkok tell you your after-tax salary, so the sum you get is after tax is paid - that's how my school works it. Which is a lot better than the pre-tax system used in the UK; I prefer to know how much I actually earn and not have to take into account taxes.

The OP's package seems like a fairly normal mid-teir school package. Just make sure there are flights and medical insurance included.

10. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

As others have stated, pretty basic salary, I would guess that you aren't at one of the top schools, with that salary and your partner not working you will find it hard to save any money, but will be able to have a good life and holidays on that money, the Wife and I (No children) live on about 40-50000 a month, if you pay tax (and I expect you will) you will be earning around 60000bt.
    So it will be tight, you can get Full time childcare for very, very cheap so if your partener could get a job on an average salary (maybe at the school) you may be better off.

11. mollymillions

This is pre-tax unfortunately.

12. mollymillions

That's what we're trying to escape from!

13. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

I know people with families working in BKK on 60K. At the moment, no tax but it is all a bit up in the air at the moment and they might have to pay tax soon. No housing allowance. Good lifestyle.

It's all relative. 60K is many times more than a local graduate could hope to earn for a long, long time. 120K is a small fortune to many, both local and expat.

14. mollymillions

You're right of course roamingteacher; I suppose the question is not really 'could I survive?', it's more 'how does it compare to other teaching jobs in the same place?' There are people everywhere that live on a lot more and a lot less than I'd ever get paid. I just don't want to accidentally limit us to having to just 'get by' when others doing much the same job are able to access more of what a country/city has to offer.

I'll wager that there are people earning 500K plus who swear they couldn't get by on any less.

15. This would be a fairly low salary (after tax) for a single person, never mind a family.
    Friends of mine were earning much more than that 6+ years ago and were not at top tier schools.
    Any clues to the school???