1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a new craze?!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zee-bra, Apr 21, 2009.

1. This evening at approximately five pm there was a loud knock on the door.
    We have had a few kids knock on the door and run away recently so I thought it may be them.
    Anyway I answer the door and there are four children in my very small front garden standing completely still. The one nearest had made no attempt to move away from the door and was holding an imaginary airgun and pointing it slightly away from me and stood totally still.
    One was a ballet dancer. The other seemed to be a kid with attitude- clearly not alot of acting skills needed for that one and the other I failed to see what they were trying to be. All totally still.
    'Can I help you?' I asked. No reply.
    'CAN I HELP YOU?' I ASKED. NO REPLY.
    This must have been for about a minute. No movement from any of them.
    Then one of them moved her head slightly and looked at me out the corner of her eye. Then quickly did a double take. Yes a teacher from your school lives here and you hadnt realised had you. (Her acting skills werent that good to disguise the shock).
    Its Mrs............., a teacher from school AND THEY moved very quickly clattering out my gate with a whoosh.
    Now I know when I was a child to knock on someones door was terrifying but to get caught would of been just too scary to contemplate. These kids just do not seem at all bothered and quite clearly had no fear. Scary really. (Ages between 10 and13)
    Apart from my immediate neighbours who are a nightmare and not involved in this I live in a nice,affluent area of the country.
    I did laugh when I shut the door and thought this may make you giggle!!!

2. This evening at approximately five pm there was a loud knock on the door.
    We have had a few kids knock on the door and run away recently so I thought it may be them.
    Anyway I answer the door and there are four children in my very small front garden standing completely still. The one nearest had made no attempt to move away from the door and was holding an imaginary airgun and pointing it slightly away from me and stood totally still.
    One was a ballet dancer. The other seemed to be a kid with attitude- clearly not alot of acting skills needed for that one and the other I failed to see what they were trying to be. All totally still.
    'CAN I HELP YOU?' I ASKED. NO REPLY.
    This must have been for about a minute. No movement from any of them.
    Then one of them moved her head slightly and looked at me out the corner of her eye. Then quickly did a double take. Yes a teacher from your school lives here and you hadnt realised had you. (Her acting skills werent that good to disguise the shock).
    Its Mrs............., a teacher from school AND THEY moved very quickly clattering out my gate with a whoosh.
    Now I know when I was a child to knock on someones door was terrifying but to get caught would of been just too scary to contemplate. These kids just do not seem at all bothered and quite clearly had no fear. Scary really. (Ages between 10 and13)
    Apart from my immediate neighbours who are a nightmare and not involved in this I live in a nice,affluent area of the country.
    I did laugh when I shut the door and thought this may make you giggle!!!

3. Have you checked youtube to see if they were doing a piece of performance art?

4. I probably would have just stood there and watched them to see who broke first.

5. Reason to keep a bucket of water by the door....

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Pretty weird.

7. I am impressed by their creativity! Not sure what I'd do, probably walk out and join them!

8. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Mind you,reading back the OP's description,I do find the situation a bit intimidating. The OP got rid of them because they reconised her as a teacher but if this had not been the case,how long would it have gone on for?

9. I think I would have wanted to set a big ferocious dog on them to be honest!

10. Seriously creepy. I would probably have shut the door on them after getting no response. What kind of mind thinks that sort of thing up?

11. If you know who they are you need to contact the parents, as this sort of bizarre behaviour could get them into serious trouble if they knock on the wrong door.

12. I imagine they weigh up who has answered the door and if its a rather large angry looking man, they probably leg it. Saying that - they obviously didn't look long enough to realise who it was!
    I did giggle - I dont think its anything particularly harmful, just a bit of a daft childish game, but if it were older teenagers rather than 10-13 year olds doing it I would feel intimidated.
    I do like the idea of either throwing water on them or staring them out though. Or maybe reminding them about the law that allows you to do what you will to protect your own property from intruders!