1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a good idea for a ten minute activity for year3/4, for TA position?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jimmyjam007, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I have an interview for a TA position next week and am required to come up with a ten minute activity for a group of year 3/4 children. I have been told that it must be able to lead onto a peice of writing. I have had some ideas such as story creators but dont really know how i would get this rolling along and I dont want to end up with awkward silences. I have never taught children before so any advice from QT would be great.
    What I was thinking of doing was a problem solving activity. Basically, starting with a short story which contains a problem. Then ask the children to identify what the problem was and who had the problem. I would then ask them for ways the character could overcome the problem and brainstorm these onto a kind of mind map on the IWB. I was then thinking I could get each child to think about a problem or a concern they have and write these on a post it (anonomously). Then they place their problems into a 'worry box' that will be at the front of the room. I would then ask for a volunteer who would come up to the front , place on the 'thinking cap' and be the chief problem solver. This child would then pick out a problem from the worry box and try to come up with a solution to the problem. The problems and solutions could be brainstormed onto the IWB. I could then ask the children that their writing activity was to write a letter to a famous person with a problem and tell them how to solve their problem. The children can decide what famous person and what problem. I was thinking the LO's for this activity would be to think about worries and concerns, to be able to solve problems and be able to express opinions. If I got asked how it would fit into the curriculum I could say it is speaking and listening as well as writing.
    Does this sound like a fun and interesting activity? Something that children of this age would find engaging? I dont want to bore them to death for ten minutes! I was quite happy with this , this morning but then my friend who works in a nursery said it sounded quite serious and I should do something more fun. I want to show the headteacher that I can be fun, but I what to be taken seriously also. Any opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the long post! Thanks

2. Personally I don't think your learning objective is clear enough and you are trying to cram far too much into such a short session! You will be a complete stranger to them so they may not be very willing to start sharing/writing problems with you.