1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a fair timetable?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Stripeysocks, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Stripeysocks

Stripeysocks New commenter

I am 70% time table and always try and make up my 3 days a fortnight free in supply (either in my school or others). This year my timetable is 2 full days off and them my third day has now been split up into single lessons spread over different time over the fortnight. 3 of them being 4th lesson meaning in theory I could go home for an hour in the middle of the day but would have to be back to teach lesson 5. This timetable means I loose a day of possible supply every fortnight. :(

2. Stripeysocks

I am 70% time table and always try and make up my 3 days a fortnight free in supply (either in my school or others). This year my timetable is 2 full days off and them my third day has now been split up into single lessons spread over different time over the fortnight. 3 of them being 4th lesson meaning in theory I could go home for an hour in the middle of the day but would have to be back to teach lesson 5. This timetable means I loose a day of possible supply every fortnight. :(

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The "trapped time" should be paid: they might get away with giving you period 5 off and unpaid, as you would actually be able to leave and get on with something, but an hour off (even adjacent to lunchtime) in the middle of the day is not on.
    If your pattern of working has been established over some years, it's possible that your union might be prepared to kick up a fuss, but I suspect you'll have more chance of success in pushing them on the trapped time issue. Three more guaranteed paid lessons a week might go most of the way to making up the lost supply.

4. At our school if such trapped time happens, there is usually agreement that the teacher is paid and does cover if necessary, or even other tasks (such as noticeboards).

5. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

My experience (I work 0.8) is that unfortunately the school can do what they wish with your timetable each year and you don't really have any say on the matter. We have all been told this year that we are expected in for all after-school/evening events for any year group we teach even if it is on a day we do not teach and that we have no right to expect that we might be able to work elsewhere on a day not in school.
    You should be able to fight the trapped time issue with support from your union though - but not any that is p1 or p5.
    I have had a pretty rubbish distribution of my "day off" this year over three days per week but it does look like I "might" get a day off back next year as compensation for having coped this year - fingers crossed and look out for an angry Roboteer when the timetable finally comes out - probably about September 5th on past form!

6. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis New commenter

The situations described above would be illegal where I come from. A 0.7 or 0.8 part-time teacher can be required to come to school on only four days a week. A 0.4, 0.5 or 0.6 teacher can be required to come to school on only three days. As a school timetabler in three schools, I never had any problem in meeting these requirements. I have never done a timetable that had any such thing as ?trapped time? in it. Part of the problem is how the school constructs its curriculum in the first place, but past discussion on this site (Reports. How does one stay sane? ) tells me that suggesting solutions is not what it?s all about. The other issue is why working conditions are so bad for teachers in England, a matter that teachers themselves need to take up with their unions, though I submit the first step would be to have only one union.

7. Stripeysocks

Thanks for all of your advice. I spoke to my HOD and she suggested offering myself for cover on the 'spare' hours. I plan to speak to those in charge tomorrow.

8. If you are a member of a union get it involved.

Trapped time - never heard it called that before- cannot be part of a part-timers time off. They could give you all of the periods at the start or end of a day with no full day off, but the time off has to touch the end or start of a day.

An argument that your union can be succesful with is that; as you have had 3 full days off for however many years - the precedent and tradition of your contract is 3 full days off. Unless the school has informed you, either verbally or in writing that they would not be able to honour that before they started on the timetable. This close to end of term is unacceptable to let you know that you wouldn't get 3 days off, however if they'd suggested that was the case to ALL part-timers back before easter, normally to warn those who have child care issues, then you'll be less likely to succeed with the "history and precedent" argument

You could also talk to your HOD about splitting a class to get the timetable you are happy with.

All of the above advice is dependent on your school not being private of an academy.

Gavin