1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a "dangerous dog"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rustybug, Apr 5, 2012.

1. On Tuesday I was walking along with my dog when I was hit at mid-thigh height from the back by a golden retriever running at full pelt playing with another, smaller dog. I never saw or heard it coming and was completely unprepared - I was lifted up in the air and crashed back to the ground on my bum, back and head in turn. I am still in quite a lot of pain, and there are a few things I can't do (quite a lot, when you consider this is the start of my easter holiday when I may have been considering spring cleaning, taking the kids to a theme park, getting back into the gym) - I have to stand up and sit down very slowly, turning over in bed is very painful, so I have had broken nights. Luckily, I'm reasonably fit and have been able to keep moving, I'm OK walking, just bending over to pick things up, and also holding my dog's lead is sore if he pulls.
    Just before it happened, I had been chatting to the owner of the small dog mentioned above, who told me that 2 weeks ago she had been knocked over by this retriever.
    Yesterday I was walking in the same place at the same time and saw the owners of the retriever again. They told me that seconds after I had picked myself up off the ground and hobbled home, the dog knocked its owner over, and she laughingly told me she had a sore bum.
    When I am at work my 74-year-old (very fit and active) mum walks my dog. If that had been her, there would have been serious consequences, I'm sure. I mentioned that to the owners, and they said "Oh, she was just following [the little dog]", before wandering off on their dog walk.
    All the stuff I have heard about dangerous dogs concerns aggression, not cretinous bashing into people, but as I say, from my mum's point of view, this is more hazardous! The owners just seemed so blase about it, they asked me how I was feeling, but seem to have an "accidents will happen" view on it. Which I shared, initially, but hearing that this is the third time (that I know about) in 2 weeks that this dog has pole-axed an adult, I am wondering if I should say something legal-ish to them the next time I see them.

2. On Tuesday I was walking along with my dog when I was hit at mid-thigh height from the back by a golden retriever running at full pelt playing with another, smaller dog. I never saw or heard it coming and was completely unprepared - I was lifted up in the air and crashed back to the ground on my bum, back and head in turn. I am still in quite a lot of pain, and there are a few things I can't do (quite a lot, when you consider this is the start of my easter holiday when I may have been considering spring cleaning, taking the kids to a theme park, getting back into the gym) - I have to stand up and sit down very slowly, turning over in bed is very painful, so I have had broken nights. Luckily, I'm reasonably fit and have been able to keep moving, I'm OK walking, just bending over to pick things up, and also holding my dog's lead is sore if he pulls.
    Just before it happened, I had been chatting to the owner of the small dog mentioned above, who told me that 2 weeks ago she had been knocked over by this retriever.
    Yesterday I was walking in the same place at the same time and saw the owners of the retriever again. They told me that seconds after I had picked myself up off the ground and hobbled home, the dog knocked its owner over, and she laughingly told me she had a sore bum.
    When I am at work my 74-year-old (very fit and active) mum walks my dog. If that had been her, there would have been serious consequences, I'm sure. I mentioned that to the owners, and they said "Oh, she was just following [the little dog]", before wandering off on their dog walk.
    All the stuff I have heard about dangerous dogs concerns aggression, not cretinous bashing into people, but as I say, from my mum's point of view, this is more hazardous! The owners just seemed so blase about it, they asked me how I was feeling, but seem to have an "accidents will happen" view on it. Which I shared, initially, but hearing that this is the third time (that I know about) in 2 weeks that this dog has pole-axed an adult, I am wondering if I should say something legal-ish to them the next time I see them.

3. Dangerous?! Doesn't sound dangerous, in the sense of being vicious or likely to attack someone.
    Stupid owners. Not only is their dog knocking people over, it could run into the road and get killed/cause an accident.

4. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

The onus is definitely on the owner to have the dog under control in a public place. While this animal's motivation isn't aggressive as such, nonetheless, as you pointed out his actions do constitute a danger to the public and in particular old people. My family have always had golden retrievers and yes are can be quite friendly and boisterous. However, knowing this and how strong they are, I would never have them off-lead in public.
    Frankly, some dog owner amaze me by their attitude to their dogs 'actions' and this includes aggressive ones. I know someone who's little Yorkie was attacked by a staffie and was quite badly injured ( yet again this breed are very represented where attacks like this are concerned ) and the owner just dismissed it as an 'accident'! He had to take her to the small claims court to recoup the veterinary fees. If it were me I'd have paid up on the spot.
    Did the owner realise you were hurt?
    Hope the bruising subsides soon for you!

5. Hi rustybug,

A dog can be
    regarded as being dangerously out of control on any occasion where it causes fear or
    apprehension to a person
    that it may injure them. Furthermore, if that dog does injure a person
    then the offence is aggravated. Legal action may be taken against the owner and/or the person in
    charge of the dog at the time.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/dogs-guide-enforcers.pdf

People seem to think that a dog has to be aggressive to be considered out of control, it doesn't, it just needs to cause harm or fear of harm from its actions, knocking people over is harm. As a dog lover and owner It really irks me when people don't take the time to train their dog, it is not rocket science just a bit of common sense and setting of boundaries.

Contact the council, they are the ones who can issue a behaviour control order on the owners if a history is emerging on the dogs behaviour.

Best Wishes.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

feel free to shoot me down in flames but i would say that it was just an accident. I do, however, think the owners culd have been more understanding and apologised to you.
    I assume you were in the park not on a pavement or anything.
    If it had been my dog I would have been mortified and full of apologies. I have seen people knocked over by dogs playing but it has been the dog's owner or one of the group of owners, I have never seen it happen to a stranger.